OT: Linotype

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 38 , Dec 11, 2012

      > > Two hours to reassemble? That's not long at all! I guess it depends
      > > on how much was disassembled?
      >
      > Uhh, yeah. You got snookered. ;)

      Umm, yeah. I had a good laugh about the 5 car trips, knew something was wrong, perhaps Bill didn't know what a Linotype was?. Then I saw on the last line of his post that he did put it into an 18 wheeler truck. So I kind of guessed the machine might have been hoisted complete and 2 hours was the time it took to plug it in and test it. I didn't want to say anything to be polite, since I don't really know Bill. Then I saw your post and knew it was a joke. I was hoping nobody would notice.

      Thinking about it now, the metal pot takes 6 hours to come up to operating temperature. My dad who knows these machines like the back of his hand took the better part of 10 hours reassembling it. And that's only because he knew where every part fit and did not reassemble out of sequence. He might be a bit slow, but that might be because he's just got 1 leg.

      Yeah, bottom line is I fell for yet another joke on this forum.
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 16, 2012
        On 12/15/2012 03:17 PM, Jeff Jonas wrote:
        > I took calligraphy with Don Kunz my final year at The Cooper Union,
        > so I considered typography an enemy or competition to the human touch
        > of calligraphy (but I had no time for any courses from the <a
        > href=http://lubalincenter.cooper.edu/>Lubalin typography center</a>).
        > Sadly, my handwriting & calligraphy has deteriorated over the years,
        > so I'm totally dependent on technology for word processing & web
        > publishing

        Calligraphy is cool. I was interested in it years ago but never went
        anywhere with it, but I still love to see it.

        > 2 of my AT&T co-workers were from Varityper, so they knew programming
        > AND typesetting/typography. It was common to hear them complaining of
        > the laser printer's awful fonts and ligature/kerning problems in
        > troff.

        Nice. ;) I worked at a company about 23 years ago that did a lot of
        publishing work for large-scale directories and stuff like that. We did
        our camera-ready output on a Varityper VT600. I loved that machine.
        Its fonts weren't THAT bad...If you want bad fonts and awful-looking
        output, look at the garbage generated by MS Word! I have bellybutton
        lint that knows more about typography than those developers.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ