Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Analog Computers - General description

  • William Donzelli
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 10, 2012
      > http://www.eugeneleeslover.com/VIDEOS/fire_control_computer_1.html
      >
      > It looks like the site linked above is a primary Web source for WWII and
      > later Naval fire control computer documents. It may be the original source
      > for the video referenced above, or certainly an earlier one.

      I think some of these are originally from the Historic Naval Ships
      Association. There is a group of us ship geeks that are also trying to
      save and archive the technology, bitsavers style.

      > These control computers used rotational position (radius vs angle) as
      > means of expressing an analog function. One input variable was a cam on a
      > shaft; two input variables was a surface on a cylinder. By cascading, you
      > could have several variables per output.

      There is also a class of fire control computers that used linear
      displacement of levers and linkages, rather than rotation. These
      machines were much cheaper to make, but not quite as accurate. And of
      course, there were hybrids of all sorts. I had a small collecton of
      small machines and assemblies at VFC East number 2.

      Trivia - there are two Mk 4 Torpedo Data Computers still in active
      service, in the Taiwan Navy. They have been in near continuous service
      since 1946.

      --
      Will