Re: Linotype, was Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Re: Analog Computers - General- Navy Computer- linotype

    Message 1 of 38 , Dec 10, 2012
      On 12/10/2012 09:43 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
      >>> When you land that machine, if you ever need any parts that you
      >>> can't find, try their website at www.donblack.ca
      >>
      >> Recorded for future reference. Thanks!
      >
      > If you ever do need to order from them and would like to save on
      > shipping, please don't hesitate to ask me. I drive by that part of
      > town on a monthly basis and I'm crossing the border at Niagra Falls
      > every 3 months or so. If there's no hurry and saving money is on
      > your mind, I'd be happy to help. I'm sure shipping from within the
      > US would be a lot cheaper than it coming out of Canada.

      I will absolutely keep that in mind. Thank you!

      I don't think I'll get the Linotype anytime soon, if I'm lucky enough
      to get it at all...but I am trying. :-)

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 16, 2012
        On 12/15/2012 03:17 PM, Jeff Jonas wrote:
        > I took calligraphy with Don Kunz my final year at The Cooper Union,
        > so I considered typography an enemy or competition to the human touch
        > of calligraphy (but I had no time for any courses from the <a
        > href=http://lubalincenter.cooper.edu/>Lubalin typography center</a>).
        > Sadly, my handwriting & calligraphy has deteriorated over the years,
        > so I'm totally dependent on technology for word processing & web
        > publishing

        Calligraphy is cool. I was interested in it years ago but never went
        anywhere with it, but I still love to see it.

        > 2 of my AT&T co-workers were from Varityper, so they knew programming
        > AND typesetting/typography. It was common to hear them complaining of
        > the laser printer's awful fonts and ligature/kerning problems in
        > troff.

        Nice. ;) I worked at a company about 23 years ago that did a lot of
        publishing work for large-scale directories and stuff like that. We did
        our camera-ready output on a Varityper VT600. I loved that machine.
        Its fonts weren't THAT bad...If you want bad fonts and awful-looking
        output, look at the garbage generated by MS Word! I have bellybutton
        lint that knows more about typography than those developers.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ