Re: Linotype, was Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Re: Analog Computers - General- Navy Computer- linotype

    Message 1 of 38 , Dec 10, 2012
      On 12/10/2012 09:20 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
      >>> There's a shop here in Toronto that deals in them. They are for
      >>> the most part being exported to 3rd world countries. Hey, they
      >>> still work right?
      >>
      >> Seems a bit odd to me that they'd be using them in production, for
      >> anything other than "rustic" stuff (like my print-shop-running
      >> local friend) due to the expense of the whole end-to-end process,
      >> but I suppose it's always possible!
      >
      > I can't account for what is cheaper in those countries, I'm just
      > repeating what I heard by the owner. He's not just selling whole
      > machines but on going replacement parts and the metal ingots etc.

      That's awesome!

      > When you land that machine, if you ever need any parts that you can't
      > find, try their website at www.donblack.ca

      Recorded for future reference. Thanks!

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 16, 2012
        On 12/15/2012 03:17 PM, Jeff Jonas wrote:
        > I took calligraphy with Don Kunz my final year at The Cooper Union,
        > so I considered typography an enemy or competition to the human touch
        > of calligraphy (but I had no time for any courses from the <a
        > href=http://lubalincenter.cooper.edu/>Lubalin typography center</a>).
        > Sadly, my handwriting & calligraphy has deteriorated over the years,
        > so I'm totally dependent on technology for word processing & web
        > publishing

        Calligraphy is cool. I was interested in it years ago but never went
        anywhere with it, but I still love to see it.

        > 2 of my AT&T co-workers were from Varityper, so they knew programming
        > AND typesetting/typography. It was common to hear them complaining of
        > the laser printer's awful fonts and ligature/kerning problems in
        > troff.

        Nice. ;) I worked at a company about 23 years ago that did a lot of
        publishing work for large-scale directories and stuff like that. We did
        our camera-ready output on a Varityper VT600. I loved that machine.
        Its fonts weren't THAT bad...If you want bad fonts and awful-looking
        output, look at the garbage generated by MS Word! I have bellybutton
        lint that knows more about typography than those developers.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ