Linotype, was Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Re: Analog Computers - General- Navy Computer- linotype

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 38 , Dec 10, 2012

      > > There's a shop here in Toronto that deals in them. They are for the
      > > most part being exported to 3rd world countries. Hey, they still
      > > work right?
      >
      > Seems a bit odd to me that they'd be using them in production, for
      > anything other than "rustic" stuff (like my print-shop-running local
      > friend) due to the expense of the whole end-to-end process, but I
      > suppose it's always possible!

      I can't account for what is cheaper in those countries, I'm just repeating what I heard by the owner. He's not just selling whole machines but on going replacement parts and the metal ingots etc.

      When you land that machine, if you ever need any parts that you can't find, try their website at www.donblack.ca

      Cheers,
      Josh
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 16, 2012
        On 12/15/2012 03:17 PM, Jeff Jonas wrote:
        > I took calligraphy with Don Kunz my final year at The Cooper Union,
        > so I considered typography an enemy or competition to the human touch
        > of calligraphy (but I had no time for any courses from the <a
        > href=http://lubalincenter.cooper.edu/>Lubalin typography center</a>).
        > Sadly, my handwriting & calligraphy has deteriorated over the years,
        > so I'm totally dependent on technology for word processing & web
        > publishing

        Calligraphy is cool. I was interested in it years ago but never went
        anywhere with it, but I still love to see it.

        > 2 of my AT&T co-workers were from Varityper, so they knew programming
        > AND typesetting/typography. It was common to hear them complaining of
        > the laser printer's awful fonts and ligature/kerning problems in
        > troff.

        Nice. ;) I worked at a company about 23 years ago that did a lot of
        publishing work for large-scale directories and stuff like that. We did
        our camera-ready output on a Varityper VT600. I loved that machine.
        Its fonts weren't THAT bad...If you want bad fonts and awful-looking
        output, look at the garbage generated by MS Word! I have bellybutton
        lint that knows more about typography than those developers.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ