Linotype, was Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Re: Analog Computers - General- Navy Computer- linotype

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 38 , Dec 10, 2012
      > Linotypes are GLORIOUS. And positively revolutionary.
      >
      > There's an old Model 6 in a print shop just a few miles from here.
      > I've seen it in operation. The nice old guy who owns the print shop
      > still uses it occasionally for things like wedding invitations, but he
      > is having thoughts of retirement, and I am working on getting that machine.

      If you have the space, go for it!

      > The way they work (specifically the matrix mechanism that returns
      > matrices to the right slots after use) is ingenious. The whole

      Yes, the decoder bar along the top of the magazines. That bar alone is worth a few hundred dollars. The lubricating of the machine is a delicate matter. The mats must not get any oil on them, so only a drop of oil here and there must be used in the right places so no oil leaks into the path of a mat.

      When my dad used to operate this machine, he was so quick that he would exhaust the "e"'s. So he'd through 5 more into the system and make sure he kept ahead before the extra mats dropping into a full slot. Then he would key out the 5 extra e's when he was done.

      There's a new movie called Linotype the film that came out 2 months ago, check it out. http://www.linotypefilm.com/

      Regards,
      Josh
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 16, 2012
        On 12/15/2012 03:17 PM, Jeff Jonas wrote:
        > I took calligraphy with Don Kunz my final year at The Cooper Union,
        > so I considered typography an enemy or competition to the human touch
        > of calligraphy (but I had no time for any courses from the <a
        > href=http://lubalincenter.cooper.edu/>Lubalin typography center</a>).
        > Sadly, my handwriting & calligraphy has deteriorated over the years,
        > so I'm totally dependent on technology for word processing & web
        > publishing

        Calligraphy is cool. I was interested in it years ago but never went
        anywhere with it, but I still love to see it.

        > 2 of my AT&T co-workers were from Varityper, so they knew programming
        > AND typesetting/typography. It was common to hear them complaining of
        > the laser printer's awful fonts and ligature/kerning problems in
        > troff.

        Nice. ;) I worked at a company about 23 years ago that did a lot of
        publishing work for large-scale directories and stuff like that. We did
        our camera-ready output on a Varityper VT600. I loved that machine.
        Its fonts weren't THAT bad...If you want bad fonts and awful-looking
        output, look at the garbage generated by MS Word! I have bellybutton
        lint that knows more about typography than those developers.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ