Linotype, was Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Re: Analog Computers - General- Navy Computer- linotype

    Message 1 of 38 , Dec 10, 2012
      On 12/09/2012 08:56 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
      >> I just happened to have discovered this great video a couple of
      >> days ago. It's a 50's US Navy instructional film about the
      >> mechanical computers they used. It's really eye-opening and very
      >> high quality. (It gets to the meat about two minutes in.) For
      >> me, it demonstrated the analog/mathematical approach, in contrast
      >> to the digital/logical approach I grew up learning.
      >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1i-dnAH9Y4
      >
      > Ken, that was a fun (and informative) video to watch. Watching the
      > cam description reminded me of the old Linotypes. Have you ever
      > seen one of those in action?

      Linotypes are GLORIOUS. And positively revolutionary.

      There's an old Model 6 in a print shop just a few miles from here.
      I've seen it in operation. The nice old guy who owns the print shop
      still uses it occasionally for things like wedding invitations, but he
      is having thoughts of retirement, and I am working on getting that machine.

      The way they work (specifically the matrix mechanism that returns
      matrices to the right slots after use) is ingenious. The whole machine
      is full of cool stuff like that.

      Speaking of this, I still have a Linotronic L300 phototypesetter here
      that needs to find a new home. 2540 DPI!

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 16, 2012
        On 12/15/2012 03:17 PM, Jeff Jonas wrote:
        > I took calligraphy with Don Kunz my final year at The Cooper Union,
        > so I considered typography an enemy or competition to the human touch
        > of calligraphy (but I had no time for any courses from the <a
        > href=http://lubalincenter.cooper.edu/>Lubalin typography center</a>).
        > Sadly, my handwriting & calligraphy has deteriorated over the years,
        > so I'm totally dependent on technology for word processing & web
        > publishing

        Calligraphy is cool. I was interested in it years ago but never went
        anywhere with it, but I still love to see it.

        > 2 of my AT&T co-workers were from Varityper, so they knew programming
        > AND typesetting/typography. It was common to hear them complaining of
        > the laser printer's awful fonts and ligature/kerning problems in
        > troff.

        Nice. ;) I worked at a company about 23 years ago that did a lot of
        publishing work for large-scale directories and stuff like that. We did
        our camera-ready output on a Varityper VT600. I loved that machine.
        Its fonts weren't THAT bad...If you want bad fonts and awful-looking
        output, look at the garbage generated by MS Word! I have bellybutton
        lint that knows more about typography than those developers.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ