Re: Stuff Bill is Brining

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012

      > > > Dec OmniBus cards - Dave McGuire expressed interest, no deal made as of
      >
      > > > this writing
      > > >
      > > > probably more as space allows.
      > > >
      > > > Bill
      >
      > That was my typo, sorry. I was thinking Q bus, but typed OMNIBUS. Oops!
      > These are all the 4 connector Q bus except the one M8190 I think which is a
      > half card.

      Thanks for correcting this. I was annoyed you were bringing Omnibus cards when I have a PDP-8/F to restore....

      > Would it be a mistake to break up this set of cards?
      >
      > I don't want to part with both Ethernet cards, they came from one of the
      > original nfsnet systems (at the U of Delaware), the place where they
      > invented the Fuzzball router (or helped design/test).
      >
      > http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=357
      >
      > Bill

      A Unibus Ethernet card for my 11/34 is a little low on my priorities to bring it up, for me it would be a "target of opportunity"...;)

      Its' an interesting exercise in "provenance" to claim a DEC card came from a particular router that was used in a particular early system. YOur "proof" I imagine would be, if you could identify the Ethernet address of the card, and show an Ethernet address for one of those Fuzzball routers. Where and how that E-address is documented, you'll have to determine.

      The router "box" or cabinet with a U of D sticker and other identifying information, that would be in my causal opinion a better "provenance".

      I'm not calling this stuff out to be clever, I'm making a point and helping you establish your "claim".

      Herb Johnson
    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mouse <mouse@...> wrote:

        > Bill, Got your Basis right here! Super excited to see one turn on again.
        >
        > I am looking forward to Festivus and avoiding whatever hideous
        > bacterial plague hit me last year.
        >
        > See you all there :)
        >
        > -mouse

        Bring some 12" terminal CRT's, if you haven't left already.

        Herb
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012
          On Dec 8, 2012, at 12:57 PM, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...> wrote:
          >> Would it be a mistake to break up this set of cards?
          >>
          >> I don't want to part with both Ethernet cards, they came from one of the
          >> original nfsnet systems (at the U of Delaware), the place where they
          >> invented the Fuzzball router (or helped design/test).
          >>
          >> http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=357
          >
          > A Unibus Ethernet card for my 11/34 is a little low on my priorities to bring it up, for me it would be a "target of opportunity"...;)

          Especially when it's one that's supported by essentially *no* software. ;)

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ