Today at InfoAge (great progress!)

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 24, 2006
      Hi all,

      I went to InfoAge at 2:00 this afternoon. Rob Frye, all the way from the
      D.C. region, was in town and stopped by to see what we're doing. I gave him
      the full tour for about an hour (he had lots of smart questions) and then we
      unloaded his Zilog computer into our preview museum room. The neglected to
      take pictures, but computer is in great condition. Soon after he left, Joe
      G. visited with his friend Jeff Frady and also Joe's younger brother. Their
      combined age of 17+16+12 is still younger than some people on our list, but
      at least it's not younger than our median age range, unlike the radio club
      guys. :)

      After repeating the tour for our young friends, we got down to doing some
      real work in our preview room. First, we removed the edge moulding from the
      bottom of the walls. Second, we cut the carpet to fit. Cutting the basic
      square was not hard but trimming all the nooks and crannies was tedious.
      Finally we got it just right. Joe, Jeff, and Joe's brother had to leave, so
      we packed up Joe's new PS/2 and off they went. Said Joe's mother: "I just
      wanted to meet you in person and make sure you're not crazy." I didn't
      confirm or deny that. :)

      Speaking of the aforementioned radio guys, I went to dinner with Steve of
      the NJARC. Very interesting guy and nice to talk with him.

      When we returned, he gave me some pointers about finishing up the carpet
      installation. I used a staple gun to attach it to the floor, and then I
      re-attached the edge moulding, although it got damaged in some spots during
      the quick-and-dirty removal process. Bottom line, the carpeting job is VERY
      amateur, but it's not half-bad either, if I don't say so myself! There are
      one or two small areas with an air bubble, some of the trim cuts are
      scraggly, and the seam with the carpeting in Frank's adjacent room
      definitely will need one of the metal strips to cover it. Compared to how
      our room looked BEFORE last week's painting (thanks John A., and to Dan from
      the historic diving club), the room looks terrific now. It's all relative!

      Finally, I vacuumed, and then I started to move some things into the room
      for the April 1 event. I "borrowed" a small display case for our Univac
      board and a slide rule, although we can fit more stuff into it. InfoAge had
      two framed posters that I adopted -- one is a photo of the ENIAC and one is
      a very old IBM calculator advertisement. They were just sitting unused in a
      common area, and I figured where else should they be but in the MARCH room,
      right? I also brought in a DEC board that Mr. Grabbe had framed along with
      some large unidentified chip that he framed. Equipment-wise, I brought in
      the Zilog that we got today (luckily it's on wheels because it weighs 180
      pounds), and Fred helped me carry our Tektronix oscilliscope upstairs from
      the storage area. True, it's not a computer, but it's the cleanest thing we
      own. To the general public, it's very attractive and techie-looking.

      I'll go there again a week from today, and then Saturday is the event.

      Fred said that even though the actual ceremonies begin at noon, the doors
      open to the public at 10, so they can start checking out everyone's hard
      work. So, we should probably be there around 9 or earlier.

      It is perfectly safe to bring in stuff from our personal collections Friday
      night.

      Anybody want to split a hotel room with me Friday night, rather than having
      to schlep back home, or having to wake up early Saturday?

      - Evan
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 25, 2006
        I still plan to bring/donate the following...

        http://vintagecomputer.net/pictures/eniac_ad.gif

        ...should I frame it, and what color frames are the other framed items that
        will be in this room? What is the color scheme of the room?

        (my web designer side)

        Bill D
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 25, 2006
          The walls are white-ish and the carpet is a medium gray.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2008
            > Rob Frye, all the way from the D.C. region, was in town
            > and then we unloaded his Zilog computer

            I need to contact Rob Frye since I used a Zilog system 8000 for a
            while and still have parts for a model 31.

            Does anybody need a 700 meg 8 inch SMD / E-SMD interfaced hard drive?
            I bought this while elephant around 1989 for my Zilog system only to
            decommission the system before it was put into use. It passed testing
            and I can check the diagnostic LEDs to assure against DOA.

            If it's for a MARCH system, then it's free, else I'd want to trade
            something in return (please).

            -- Jeff Jonas
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4, 2008
              I'll ping you off-list with some info re: Rob Frye.