Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Stuff Bill is Brining

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
      On 12/06/2012 04:04 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
      > That was my typo, sorry. I was thinking Q bus, but typed OMNIBUS. Oops!
      > These are all the 4 connector Q bus except the one M8190 I think which is a
      > half card.

      The M8190 is a dual card, yes. The others are quads.

      > Would it be a mistake to break up this set of cards?

      There's nothing at all tying them together, no.

      > I don't want to part with both Ethernet cards, they came from one of the
      > original nfsnet systems (at the U of Delaware), the place where they
      > invented the Fuzzball router (or helped design/test).
      >
      > http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=357

      That's neat!

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
        On 12/6/2012 11:19 AM, B. Degnan wrote:
        > Roll of printed papertape for Herb
        >
        > BASIS 108 stuff to join with system Ian/Kelly have for me from Rubin
        >
        > ADDS Terminal sell to Ian Primus
        > Tektronixs 535 to trade or sell to ?? Dave McGuire
        > HP 9835B to trade or sell to whomever wants (let me know)
        > CBM B Series Software - Word Processing/Scripting, Database, Accounting
        > packages - anyone interested?
        > Tandy Manuals, various 77-80-ish era (requests?)
        > Dec OmniBus cards - Dave McGuire expressed interest, no deal made as of
        > this writing
        >> M8192
        >> M8190
        >> InterLAN BD-NI201A Ethernet Address # 020701 003516
        >> M7551-CR
        >> M8067
        >> InterLAN BD-NI2010 Ethernet Address # 020701 000CB4
        > probably more as space allows.
        >
        > Bill

        I bet Bill's stuff is going to taste pretty darn good after it has been
        brined! :-P

        Cheers,

        Bryan
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
          > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Stuff Bill is Brining
          >
          > On 12/6/2012 11:19 AM, B. Degnan wrote:
          > > Roll of printed papertape for Herb
          > >
          > > BASIS 108 stuff to join with system Ian/Kelly have for me from Rubin
          > >
          > > ADDS Terminal sell to Ian Primus
          > > Tektronixs 535 to trade or sell to ?? Dave McGuire
          > > HP 9835B to trade or sell to whomever wants (let me know)
          > > CBM B Series Software - Word Processing/Scripting, Database,
          Accounting
          > > packages - anyone interested?
          > > Tandy Manuals, various 77-80-ish era (requests?)
          > > Dec OmniBus cards - Dave McGuire expressed interest, no deal made as
          of
          > > this writing
          > >> M8192
          > >> M8190
          > >> InterLAN BD-NI201A Ethernet Address # 020701 003516
          > >> M7551-CR
          > >> M8067
          > >> InterLAN BD-NI2010 Ethernet Address # 020701 000CB4
          > > probably more as space allows.
          > >
          > > Bill
          > >

          > I bet Bill's stuff is going to taste pretty darn good after it has been
          > brined! :-P
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Bryan

          Hey Bryan - Yes, when you bine computers they have longer shelf life.
          Secret is out.
        • Mouse
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
            Bill, Got your Basis right here! Super excited to see one turn on again.

            I am looking forward to Festivus and avoiding whatever hideous
            bacterial plague hit me last year.

            See you all there :)

            -mouse
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
              Mouse! You'll be there! I have some printers for you. I'll load 'em up.

              -Dave

              On 12/07/2012 10:46 AM, Mouse wrote:
              > Bill, Got your Basis right here! Super excited to see one turn on again.
              >
              > I am looking forward to Festivus and avoiding whatever hideous
              > bacterial plague hit me last year.
              >
              > See you all there :)
              >
              > -mouse

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012

                > Bill, Got your Basis right here! Super excited to see one turn on again.
                >
                > I am looking forward to Festivus and avoiding whatever hideous
                > bacterial plague hit me last year.
                >
                > See you all there :)
                >
                > -mouse

                I will bring the disks and keyboard for the BASIS 108.
              • s100doctor
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012

                  > > > Dec OmniBus cards - Dave McGuire expressed interest, no deal made as of
                  >
                  > > > this writing
                  > > >
                  > > > probably more as space allows.
                  > > >
                  > > > Bill
                  >
                  > That was my typo, sorry. I was thinking Q bus, but typed OMNIBUS. Oops!
                  > These are all the 4 connector Q bus except the one M8190 I think which is a
                  > half card.

                  Thanks for correcting this. I was annoyed you were bringing Omnibus cards when I have a PDP-8/F to restore....

                  > Would it be a mistake to break up this set of cards?
                  >
                  > I don't want to part with both Ethernet cards, they came from one of the
                  > original nfsnet systems (at the U of Delaware), the place where they
                  > invented the Fuzzball router (or helped design/test).
                  >
                  > http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=357
                  >
                  > Bill

                  A Unibus Ethernet card for my 11/34 is a little low on my priorities to bring it up, for me it would be a "target of opportunity"...;)

                  Its' an interesting exercise in "provenance" to claim a DEC card came from a particular router that was used in a particular early system. YOur "proof" I imagine would be, if you could identify the Ethernet address of the card, and show an Ethernet address for one of those Fuzzball routers. Where and how that E-address is documented, you'll have to determine.

                  The router "box" or cabinet with a U of D sticker and other identifying information, that would be in my causal opinion a better "provenance".

                  I'm not calling this stuff out to be clever, I'm making a point and helping you establish your "claim".

                  Herb Johnson
                • s100doctor
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mouse <mouse@...> wrote:

                    > Bill, Got your Basis right here! Super excited to see one turn on again.
                    >
                    > I am looking forward to Festivus and avoiding whatever hideous
                    > bacterial plague hit me last year.
                    >
                    > See you all there :)
                    >
                    > -mouse

                    Bring some 12" terminal CRT's, if you haven't left already.

                    Herb
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012
                      On Dec 8, 2012, at 12:57 PM, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...> wrote:
                      >> Would it be a mistake to break up this set of cards?
                      >>
                      >> I don't want to part with both Ethernet cards, they came from one of the
                      >> original nfsnet systems (at the U of Delaware), the place where they
                      >> invented the Fuzzball router (or helped design/test).
                      >>
                      >> http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=357
                      >
                      > A Unibus Ethernet card for my 11/34 is a little low on my priorities to bring it up, for me it would be a "target of opportunity"...;)

                      Especially when it's one that's supported by essentially *no* software. ;)

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ