Re: Stuff Bill is Brining

  • jack.rubin@ameritech.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
      OK, so if Dave is not interested in the Interlan cards, I'd be interested in one of them.

      As for keeping the cards together, I don't see much point to it. If you had the original rack fully equipped as it was when in service, I'd say yes, but just loose in a box these cards are pretty generic.

      BTW, I built a 56kps network for USRobotics in the mid-'80s linking our Chicago and UK operations. Most of the traffic was cc-mail and inventory reports. Nobody complained about speed or congestion.

      Jack

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
        On 12/06/2012 04:04 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
        > That was my typo, sorry. I was thinking Q bus, but typed OMNIBUS. Oops!
        > These are all the 4 connector Q bus except the one M8190 I think which is a
        > half card.

        The M8190 is a dual card, yes. The others are quads.

        > Would it be a mistake to break up this set of cards?

        There's nothing at all tying them together, no.

        > I don't want to part with both Ethernet cards, they came from one of the
        > original nfsnet systems (at the U of Delaware), the place where they
        > invented the Fuzzball router (or helped design/test).
        >
        > http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=357

        That's neat!

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
          On 12/6/2012 11:19 AM, B. Degnan wrote:
          > Roll of printed papertape for Herb
          >
          > BASIS 108 stuff to join with system Ian/Kelly have for me from Rubin
          >
          > ADDS Terminal sell to Ian Primus
          > Tektronixs 535 to trade or sell to ?? Dave McGuire
          > HP 9835B to trade or sell to whomever wants (let me know)
          > CBM B Series Software - Word Processing/Scripting, Database, Accounting
          > packages - anyone interested?
          > Tandy Manuals, various 77-80-ish era (requests?)
          > Dec OmniBus cards - Dave McGuire expressed interest, no deal made as of
          > this writing
          >> M8192
          >> M8190
          >> InterLAN BD-NI201A Ethernet Address # 020701 003516
          >> M7551-CR
          >> M8067
          >> InterLAN BD-NI2010 Ethernet Address # 020701 000CB4
          > probably more as space allows.
          >
          > Bill

          I bet Bill's stuff is going to taste pretty darn good after it has been
          brined! :-P

          Cheers,

          Bryan
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
            > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Stuff Bill is Brining
            >
            > On 12/6/2012 11:19 AM, B. Degnan wrote:
            > > Roll of printed papertape for Herb
            > >
            > > BASIS 108 stuff to join with system Ian/Kelly have for me from Rubin
            > >
            > > ADDS Terminal sell to Ian Primus
            > > Tektronixs 535 to trade or sell to ?? Dave McGuire
            > > HP 9835B to trade or sell to whomever wants (let me know)
            > > CBM B Series Software - Word Processing/Scripting, Database,
            Accounting
            > > packages - anyone interested?
            > > Tandy Manuals, various 77-80-ish era (requests?)
            > > Dec OmniBus cards - Dave McGuire expressed interest, no deal made as
            of
            > > this writing
            > >> M8192
            > >> M8190
            > >> InterLAN BD-NI201A Ethernet Address # 020701 003516
            > >> M7551-CR
            > >> M8067
            > >> InterLAN BD-NI2010 Ethernet Address # 020701 000CB4
            > > probably more as space allows.
            > >
            > > Bill
            > >

            > I bet Bill's stuff is going to taste pretty darn good after it has been
            > brined! :-P
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Bryan

            Hey Bryan - Yes, when you bine computers they have longer shelf life.
            Secret is out.
          • Mouse
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
              Bill, Got your Basis right here! Super excited to see one turn on again.

              I am looking forward to Festivus and avoiding whatever hideous
              bacterial plague hit me last year.

              See you all there :)

              -mouse
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                Mouse! You'll be there! I have some printers for you. I'll load 'em up.

                -Dave

                On 12/07/2012 10:46 AM, Mouse wrote:
                > Bill, Got your Basis right here! Super excited to see one turn on again.
                >
                > I am looking forward to Festivus and avoiding whatever hideous
                > bacterial plague hit me last year.
                >
                > See you all there :)
                >
                > -mouse

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012

                  > Bill, Got your Basis right here! Super excited to see one turn on again.
                  >
                  > I am looking forward to Festivus and avoiding whatever hideous
                  > bacterial plague hit me last year.
                  >
                  > See you all there :)
                  >
                  > -mouse

                  I will bring the disks and keyboard for the BASIS 108.
                • s100doctor
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012

                    > > > Dec OmniBus cards - Dave McGuire expressed interest, no deal made as of
                    >
                    > > > this writing
                    > > >
                    > > > probably more as space allows.
                    > > >
                    > > > Bill
                    >
                    > That was my typo, sorry. I was thinking Q bus, but typed OMNIBUS. Oops!
                    > These are all the 4 connector Q bus except the one M8190 I think which is a
                    > half card.

                    Thanks for correcting this. I was annoyed you were bringing Omnibus cards when I have a PDP-8/F to restore....

                    > Would it be a mistake to break up this set of cards?
                    >
                    > I don't want to part with both Ethernet cards, they came from one of the
                    > original nfsnet systems (at the U of Delaware), the place where they
                    > invented the Fuzzball router (or helped design/test).
                    >
                    > http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=357
                    >
                    > Bill

                    A Unibus Ethernet card for my 11/34 is a little low on my priorities to bring it up, for me it would be a "target of opportunity"...;)

                    Its' an interesting exercise in "provenance" to claim a DEC card came from a particular router that was used in a particular early system. YOur "proof" I imagine would be, if you could identify the Ethernet address of the card, and show an Ethernet address for one of those Fuzzball routers. Where and how that E-address is documented, you'll have to determine.

                    The router "box" or cabinet with a U of D sticker and other identifying information, that would be in my causal opinion a better "provenance".

                    I'm not calling this stuff out to be clever, I'm making a point and helping you establish your "claim".

                    Herb Johnson
                  • s100doctor
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mouse <mouse@...> wrote:

                      > Bill, Got your Basis right here! Super excited to see one turn on again.
                      >
                      > I am looking forward to Festivus and avoiding whatever hideous
                      > bacterial plague hit me last year.
                      >
                      > See you all there :)
                      >
                      > -mouse

                      Bring some 12" terminal CRT's, if you haven't left already.

                      Herb
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012
                        On Dec 8, 2012, at 12:57 PM, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...> wrote:
                        >> Would it be a mistake to break up this set of cards?
                        >>
                        >> I don't want to part with both Ethernet cards, they came from one of the
                        >> original nfsnet systems (at the U of Delaware), the place where they
                        >> invented the Fuzzball router (or helped design/test).
                        >>
                        >> http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=357
                        >
                        > A Unibus Ethernet card for my 11/34 is a little low on my priorities to bring it up, for me it would be a "target of opportunity"...;)

                        Especially when it's one that's supported by essentially *no* software. ;)

                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ