re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Stuff Bill is Brining

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
      That was my typo, sorry. I was thinking Q bus, but typed OMNIBUS. Oops!
      These are all the 4 connector Q bus except the one M8190 I think which is a
      half card.

      Would it be a mistake to break up this set of cards?

      I don't want to part with both Ethernet cards, they came from one of the
      original nfsnet systems (at the U of Delaware), the place where they
      invented the Fuzzball router (or helped design/test).

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
        OK, so if Dave is not interested in the Interlan cards, I'd be interested in one of them.

        As for keeping the cards together, I don't see much point to it. If you had the original rack fully equipped as it was when in service, I'd say yes, but just loose in a box these cards are pretty generic.

        BTW, I built a 56kps network for USRobotics in the mid-'80s linking our Chicago and UK operations. Most of the traffic was cc-mail and inventory reports. Nobody complained about speed or congestion.

        Jack

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
          On 12/06/2012 04:04 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
          > That was my typo, sorry. I was thinking Q bus, but typed OMNIBUS. Oops!
          > These are all the 4 connector Q bus except the one M8190 I think which is a
          > half card.

          The M8190 is a dual card, yes. The others are quads.

          > Would it be a mistake to break up this set of cards?

          There's nothing at all tying them together, no.

          > I don't want to part with both Ethernet cards, they came from one of the
          > original nfsnet systems (at the U of Delaware), the place where they
          > invented the Fuzzball router (or helped design/test).
          >
          > http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=357

          That's neat!

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Bryan Pope
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
            On 12/6/2012 11:19 AM, B. Degnan wrote:
            > Roll of printed papertape for Herb
            >
            > BASIS 108 stuff to join with system Ian/Kelly have for me from Rubin
            >
            > ADDS Terminal sell to Ian Primus
            > Tektronixs 535 to trade or sell to ?? Dave McGuire
            > HP 9835B to trade or sell to whomever wants (let me know)
            > CBM B Series Software - Word Processing/Scripting, Database, Accounting
            > packages - anyone interested?
            > Tandy Manuals, various 77-80-ish era (requests?)
            > Dec OmniBus cards - Dave McGuire expressed interest, no deal made as of
            > this writing
            >> M8192
            >> M8190
            >> InterLAN BD-NI201A Ethernet Address # 020701 003516
            >> M7551-CR
            >> M8067
            >> InterLAN BD-NI2010 Ethernet Address # 020701 000CB4
            > probably more as space allows.
            >
            > Bill

            I bet Bill's stuff is going to taste pretty darn good after it has been
            brined! :-P

            Cheers,

            Bryan
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
              > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Stuff Bill is Brining
              >
              > On 12/6/2012 11:19 AM, B. Degnan wrote:
              > > Roll of printed papertape for Herb
              > >
              > > BASIS 108 stuff to join with system Ian/Kelly have for me from Rubin
              > >
              > > ADDS Terminal sell to Ian Primus
              > > Tektronixs 535 to trade or sell to ?? Dave McGuire
              > > HP 9835B to trade or sell to whomever wants (let me know)
              > > CBM B Series Software - Word Processing/Scripting, Database,
              Accounting
              > > packages - anyone interested?
              > > Tandy Manuals, various 77-80-ish era (requests?)
              > > Dec OmniBus cards - Dave McGuire expressed interest, no deal made as
              of
              > > this writing
              > >> M8192
              > >> M8190
              > >> InterLAN BD-NI201A Ethernet Address # 020701 003516
              > >> M7551-CR
              > >> M8067
              > >> InterLAN BD-NI2010 Ethernet Address # 020701 000CB4
              > > probably more as space allows.
              > >
              > > Bill
              > >

              > I bet Bill's stuff is going to taste pretty darn good after it has been
              > brined! :-P
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Bryan

              Hey Bryan - Yes, when you bine computers they have longer shelf life.
              Secret is out.
            • Mouse
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                Bill, Got your Basis right here! Super excited to see one turn on again.

                I am looking forward to Festivus and avoiding whatever hideous
                bacterial plague hit me last year.

                See you all there :)

                -mouse
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                  Mouse! You'll be there! I have some printers for you. I'll load 'em up.

                  -Dave

                  On 12/07/2012 10:46 AM, Mouse wrote:
                  > Bill, Got your Basis right here! Super excited to see one turn on again.
                  >
                  > I am looking forward to Festivus and avoiding whatever hideous
                  > bacterial plague hit me last year.
                  >
                  > See you all there :)
                  >
                  > -mouse

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012

                    > Bill, Got your Basis right here! Super excited to see one turn on again.
                    >
                    > I am looking forward to Festivus and avoiding whatever hideous
                    > bacterial plague hit me last year.
                    >
                    > See you all there :)
                    >
                    > -mouse

                    I will bring the disks and keyboard for the BASIS 108.
                  • s100doctor
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012

                      > > > Dec OmniBus cards - Dave McGuire expressed interest, no deal made as of
                      >
                      > > > this writing
                      > > >
                      > > > probably more as space allows.
                      > > >
                      > > > Bill
                      >
                      > That was my typo, sorry. I was thinking Q bus, but typed OMNIBUS. Oops!
                      > These are all the 4 connector Q bus except the one M8190 I think which is a
                      > half card.

                      Thanks for correcting this. I was annoyed you were bringing Omnibus cards when I have a PDP-8/F to restore....

                      > Would it be a mistake to break up this set of cards?
                      >
                      > I don't want to part with both Ethernet cards, they came from one of the
                      > original nfsnet systems (at the U of Delaware), the place where they
                      > invented the Fuzzball router (or helped design/test).
                      >
                      > http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=357
                      >
                      > Bill

                      A Unibus Ethernet card for my 11/34 is a little low on my priorities to bring it up, for me it would be a "target of opportunity"...;)

                      Its' an interesting exercise in "provenance" to claim a DEC card came from a particular router that was used in a particular early system. YOur "proof" I imagine would be, if you could identify the Ethernet address of the card, and show an Ethernet address for one of those Fuzzball routers. Where and how that E-address is documented, you'll have to determine.

                      The router "box" or cabinet with a U of D sticker and other identifying information, that would be in my causal opinion a better "provenance".

                      I'm not calling this stuff out to be clever, I'm making a point and helping you establish your "claim".

                      Herb Johnson
                    • s100doctor
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mouse <mouse@...> wrote:

                        > Bill, Got your Basis right here! Super excited to see one turn on again.
                        >
                        > I am looking forward to Festivus and avoiding whatever hideous
                        > bacterial plague hit me last year.
                        >
                        > See you all there :)
                        >
                        > -mouse

                        Bring some 12" terminal CRT's, if you haven't left already.

                        Herb
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012
                          On Dec 8, 2012, at 12:57 PM, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...> wrote:
                          >> Would it be a mistake to break up this set of cards?
                          >>
                          >> I don't want to part with both Ethernet cards, they came from one of the
                          >> original nfsnet systems (at the U of Delaware), the place where they
                          >> invented the Fuzzball router (or helped design/test).
                          >>
                          >> http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=357
                          >
                          > A Unibus Ethernet card for my 11/34 is a little low on my priorities to bring it up, for me it would be a "target of opportunity"...;)

                          Especially when it's one that's supported by essentially *no* software. ;)

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ