Re: Stuff Bill is Brining

  • jack.rubin@ameritech.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
      > Dec OmniBus cards - Dave McGuire expressed interest, no deal made as of
      > this writing
      > > M8192
      > > M8190
      > > InterLAN BD-NI201A Ethernet Address # 020701 003516
      > > M7551-CR
      > > M8067
      > > InterLAN BD-NI2010 Ethernet Address # 020701 000CB4
      >
      > probably more as space allows.
      >
      > Bill

      Dag nabit, boy - get on the right bus! All those M??? things are qbus (well, ok, the right flavor '8190 could go Q or U) and the interlan cards are unibus. I'd be interested in one of the ethernet cards if Dave doesn't gobble them all up. Just about dropped my choppers when I saw your note about an omnibus ethernet adapter.

      Jack
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
        That was my typo, sorry. I was thinking Q bus, but typed OMNIBUS. Oops!
        These are all the 4 connector Q bus except the one M8190 I think which is a
        half card.

        Would it be a mistake to break up this set of cards?

        I don't want to part with both Ethernet cards, they came from one of the
        original nfsnet systems (at the U of Delaware), the place where they
        invented the Fuzzball router (or helped design/test).

      • jack.rubin@ameritech.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
          OK, so if Dave is not interested in the Interlan cards, I'd be interested in one of them.

          As for keeping the cards together, I don't see much point to it. If you had the original rack fully equipped as it was when in service, I'd say yes, but just loose in a box these cards are pretty generic.

          BTW, I built a 56kps network for USRobotics in the mid-'80s linking our Chicago and UK operations. Most of the traffic was cc-mail and inventory reports. Nobody complained about speed or congestion.

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
            On 12/06/2012 04:04 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
            > That was my typo, sorry. I was thinking Q bus, but typed OMNIBUS. Oops!
            > These are all the 4 connector Q bus except the one M8190 I think which is a
            > half card.

            The M8190 is a dual card, yes. The others are quads.

            > Would it be a mistake to break up this set of cards?

            There's nothing at all tying them together, no.

            > I don't want to part with both Ethernet cards, they came from one of the
            > original nfsnet systems (at the U of Delaware), the place where they
            > invented the Fuzzball router (or helped design/test).
            >
            > http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=357

            That's neat!

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Bryan Pope
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
              On 12/6/2012 11:19 AM, B. Degnan wrote:
              > Roll of printed papertape for Herb
              >
              > BASIS 108 stuff to join with system Ian/Kelly have for me from Rubin
              >
              > ADDS Terminal sell to Ian Primus
              > Tektronixs 535 to trade or sell to ?? Dave McGuire
              > HP 9835B to trade or sell to whomever wants (let me know)
              > CBM B Series Software - Word Processing/Scripting, Database, Accounting
              > packages - anyone interested?
              > Tandy Manuals, various 77-80-ish era (requests?)
              > Dec OmniBus cards - Dave McGuire expressed interest, no deal made as of
              > this writing
              >> M8192
              >> M8190
              >> InterLAN BD-NI201A Ethernet Address # 020701 003516
              >> M7551-CR
              >> M8067
              >> InterLAN BD-NI2010 Ethernet Address # 020701 000CB4
              > probably more as space allows.
              >
              > Bill

              I bet Bill's stuff is going to taste pretty darn good after it has been
              brined! :-P

              Cheers,

              Bryan
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
                > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Stuff Bill is Brining
                >
                > On 12/6/2012 11:19 AM, B. Degnan wrote:
                > > Roll of printed papertape for Herb
                > >
                > > BASIS 108 stuff to join with system Ian/Kelly have for me from Rubin
                > >
                > > ADDS Terminal sell to Ian Primus
                > > Tektronixs 535 to trade or sell to ?? Dave McGuire
                > > HP 9835B to trade or sell to whomever wants (let me know)
                > > CBM B Series Software - Word Processing/Scripting, Database,
                Accounting
                > > packages - anyone interested?
                > > Tandy Manuals, various 77-80-ish era (requests?)
                > > Dec OmniBus cards - Dave McGuire expressed interest, no deal made as
                of
                > > this writing
                > >> M8192
                > >> M8190
                > >> InterLAN BD-NI201A Ethernet Address # 020701 003516
                > >> M7551-CR
                > >> M8067
                > >> InterLAN BD-NI2010 Ethernet Address # 020701 000CB4
                > > probably more as space allows.
                > >
                > > Bill
                > >

                > I bet Bill's stuff is going to taste pretty darn good after it has been
                > brined! :-P
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Bryan

                Hey Bryan - Yes, when you bine computers they have longer shelf life.
                Secret is out.
              • Mouse
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                  Bill, Got your Basis right here! Super excited to see one turn on again.

                  I am looking forward to Festivus and avoiding whatever hideous
                  bacterial plague hit me last year.

                  See you all there :)

                  -mouse
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012
                    Mouse! You'll be there! I have some printers for you. I'll load 'em up.

                    -Dave

                    On 12/07/2012 10:46 AM, Mouse wrote:
                    > Bill, Got your Basis right here! Super excited to see one turn on again.
                    >
                    > I am looking forward to Festivus and avoiding whatever hideous
                    > bacterial plague hit me last year.
                    >
                    > See you all there :)
                    >
                    > -mouse

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 7, 2012

                      > Bill, Got your Basis right here! Super excited to see one turn on again.
                      >
                      > I am looking forward to Festivus and avoiding whatever hideous
                      > bacterial plague hit me last year.
                      >
                      > See you all there :)
                      >
                      > -mouse

                      I will bring the disks and keyboard for the BASIS 108.
                    • s100doctor
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012

                        > > > Dec OmniBus cards - Dave McGuire expressed interest, no deal made as of
                        >
                        > > > this writing
                        > > >
                        > > > probably more as space allows.
                        > > >
                        > > > Bill
                        >
                        > That was my typo, sorry. I was thinking Q bus, but typed OMNIBUS. Oops!
                        > These are all the 4 connector Q bus except the one M8190 I think which is a
                        > half card.

                        Thanks for correcting this. I was annoyed you were bringing Omnibus cards when I have a PDP-8/F to restore....

                        > Would it be a mistake to break up this set of cards?
                        >
                        > I don't want to part with both Ethernet cards, they came from one of the
                        > original nfsnet systems (at the U of Delaware), the place where they
                        > invented the Fuzzball router (or helped design/test).
                        >
                        > http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=357
                        >
                        > Bill

                        A Unibus Ethernet card for my 11/34 is a little low on my priorities to bring it up, for me it would be a "target of opportunity"...;)

                        Its' an interesting exercise in "provenance" to claim a DEC card came from a particular router that was used in a particular early system. YOur "proof" I imagine would be, if you could identify the Ethernet address of the card, and show an Ethernet address for one of those Fuzzball routers. Where and how that E-address is documented, you'll have to determine.

                        The router "box" or cabinet with a U of D sticker and other identifying information, that would be in my causal opinion a better "provenance".

                        I'm not calling this stuff out to be clever, I'm making a point and helping you establish your "claim".

                        Herb Johnson
                      • s100doctor
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012
                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mouse <mouse@...> wrote:

                          > Bill, Got your Basis right here! Super excited to see one turn on again.
                          >
                          > I am looking forward to Festivus and avoiding whatever hideous
                          > bacterial plague hit me last year.
                          >
                          > See you all there :)
                          >
                          > -mouse

                          Bring some 12" terminal CRT's, if you haven't left already.

                          Herb
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012
                            On Dec 8, 2012, at 12:57 PM, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...> wrote:
                            >> Would it be a mistake to break up this set of cards?
                            >>
                            >> I don't want to part with both Ethernet cards, they came from one of the
                            >> original nfsnet systems (at the U of Delaware), the place where they
                            >> invented the Fuzzball router (or helped design/test).
                            >>
                            >> http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=357
                            >
                            > A Unibus Ethernet card for my 11/34 is a little low on my priorities to bring it up, for me it would be a "target of opportunity"...;)

                            Especially when it's one that's supported by essentially *no* software. ;)

                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ