Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Cheap Bit Banger's Calculator

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
      On 12/06/2012 11:44 AM, Kyle Owen wrote:
      > However, it still wasn't until I was into my freshman year of college
      > that I really saw the benefits of RPN. My absolute favorite
      > demonstration is parallel resistance calculations. For most algebraic
      > calculators, the method is 1/(1/a+1/b), where a and b are the two
      > resistor values to be paralleled, and sometimes people even insert more
      > parenthesis than need be. On the RPN, it's just a [inv] b [inv] + [inv].
      > Far fewer keystrokes! One of my professors even made a joke (hardly a
      > joke, really) that the students who finish first on exams must all have
      > RPN calculators.

      ROFL! Yes I love my HPs for parallel resistance calculations. FAR
      easier and faster.

      > Just recently I got an HP-48g to replace my 50g, which replaced the
      > 49g+. The 50g is nice, but who needs all of those features for EE?
      > Certainly not I. The buttons on the 48g are infinitely better anyways.

      My favorite all-around calculator for lab use is the HP-41, when I'm
      at my desk writing code it is (was, see other email) an HP-28S, and for
      everything else I like the HP-48SX.

      > One day, I'll own an HP-9100A...

      Keep dreamin'.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Neil Cherry
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
        On 12/06/2012 01:03 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
        > On 12/06/2012 01:01 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:

        > > That said, I always have my phone and my tablets around so I just use
        > > them with droid48 (x48). On my Linux box I have a command line version
        > > of a rpl calculator (based on the hp28). I downloaded it from
        > > comp.sources.misc and I've had it ever since (C portable code good!).
        >
        > WHat's the name of that rpl command line calculator? I'd love to have
        > that.

        It's called rpl, somehow I named it hp28 and I left it that way (it doesn't
        do everything the HP28 does and it's a little different than the hp48).

        http://linuxha.com/athome/common/hp28-20121206.tgz

        I have a ton of hp28 manuals (including this utility manuals written by a
        3rd party). The scripting is nice and the fact that you can access the
        OS from the calculator.

        http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
        http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog