Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Cheap Bit Banger's Calculator

  • Neil Cherry
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
      On 12/06/2012 11:48 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
      > On 12/06/2012 09:28 AM, Burning Image wrote:
      > > All this talk of RPN is making me miss my HP-97 of many, many years ago...
      >
      > Wow, very cool. Most people opted for the handheld version, the 67.
      >
      > I have two 97s (I have a biggish collection of HP calculators) and
      > would be willing to part with one for the right deal. I can bring it
      > with me when I come to your place this weekend. Let me know if you
      > wanna talk turkey.

      I still have my first HP, the HP28s (or c but I think it's the s).
      I won't let it go (though the battery compartment is broke, a common
      flaw on the 28). The 28 can do 'normal math' but RPN is so much easier

      That said, I always have my phone and my tablets around so I just use
      them with droid48 (x48). On my Linux box I have a command line version
      of a rpl calculator (based on the hp28). I downloaded it from
      comp.sources.misc and I've had it ever since (C portable code good!).

      http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
      http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
        On 12/06/2012 01:01 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
        > I still have my first HP, the HP28s (or c but I think it's the s).
        > I won't let it go (though the battery compartment is broke, a common
        > flaw on the 28). The 28 can do 'normal math' but RPN is so much easier

        I have a 28S as well. It was my daily driver for programming until
        about a month ago when one of its keys died. I haven't gotten around to
        attempting repair yet. I was heartbroken; that's such a fantastic
        calculator for programming use!

        > That said, I always have my phone and my tablets around so I just use
        > them with droid48 (x48). On my Linux box I have a command line version
        > of a rpl calculator (based on the hp28). I downloaded it from
        > comp.sources.misc and I've had it ever since (C portable code good!).

        WHat's the name of that rpl command line calculator? I'd love to have
        that.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
          On 12/06/2012 11:44 AM, Kyle Owen wrote:
          > However, it still wasn't until I was into my freshman year of college
          > that I really saw the benefits of RPN. My absolute favorite
          > demonstration is parallel resistance calculations. For most algebraic
          > calculators, the method is 1/(1/a+1/b), where a and b are the two
          > resistor values to be paralleled, and sometimes people even insert more
          > parenthesis than need be. On the RPN, it's just a [inv] b [inv] + [inv].
          > Far fewer keystrokes! One of my professors even made a joke (hardly a
          > joke, really) that the students who finish first on exams must all have
          > RPN calculators.

          ROFL! Yes I love my HPs for parallel resistance calculations. FAR
          easier and faster.

          > Just recently I got an HP-48g to replace my 50g, which replaced the
          > 49g+. The 50g is nice, but who needs all of those features for EE?
          > Certainly not I. The buttons on the 48g are infinitely better anyways.

          My favorite all-around calculator for lab use is the HP-41, when I'm
          at my desk writing code it is (was, see other email) an HP-28S, and for
          everything else I like the HP-48SX.

          > One day, I'll own an HP-9100A...

          Keep dreamin'.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Neil Cherry
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
            On 12/06/2012 01:03 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
            > On 12/06/2012 01:01 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:

            > > That said, I always have my phone and my tablets around so I just use
            > > them with droid48 (x48). On my Linux box I have a command line version
            > > of a rpl calculator (based on the hp28). I downloaded it from
            > > comp.sources.misc and I've had it ever since (C portable code good!).
            >
            > WHat's the name of that rpl command line calculator? I'd love to have
            > that.

            It's called rpl, somehow I named it hp28 and I left it that way (it doesn't
            do everything the HP28 does and it's a little different than the hp48).

            http://linuxha.com/athome/common/hp28-20121206.tgz

            I have a ton of hp28 manuals (including this utility manuals written by a
            3rd party). The scripting is nice and the fact that you can access the
            OS from the calculator.