Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Cheap Bit Banger's Calculator

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
      On 12/06/2012 09:28 AM, Burning Image wrote:
      > All this talk of RPN is making me miss my HP-97 of many, many years ago...

      Wow, very cool. Most people opted for the handheld version, the 67.

      I have two 97s (I have a biggish collection of HP calculators) and
      would be willing to part with one for the right deal. I can bring it
      with me when I come to your place this weekend. Let me know if you
      wanna talk turkey.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Neil Cherry
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
        On 12/06/2012 11:48 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
        > On 12/06/2012 09:28 AM, Burning Image wrote:
        > > All this talk of RPN is making me miss my HP-97 of many, many years ago...
        >
        > Wow, very cool. Most people opted for the handheld version, the 67.
        >
        > I have two 97s (I have a biggish collection of HP calculators) and
        > would be willing to part with one for the right deal. I can bring it
        > with me when I come to your place this weekend. Let me know if you
        > wanna talk turkey.

        I still have my first HP, the HP28s (or c but I think it's the s).
        I won't let it go (though the battery compartment is broke, a common
        flaw on the 28). The 28 can do 'normal math' but RPN is so much easier

        That said, I always have my phone and my tablets around so I just use
        them with droid48 (x48). On my Linux box I have a command line version
        of a rpl calculator (based on the hp28). I downloaded it from
        comp.sources.misc and I've had it ever since (C portable code good!).

        http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
        http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
          On 12/06/2012 01:01 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
          > I still have my first HP, the HP28s (or c but I think it's the s).
          > I won't let it go (though the battery compartment is broke, a common
          > flaw on the 28). The 28 can do 'normal math' but RPN is so much easier

          I have a 28S as well. It was my daily driver for programming until
          about a month ago when one of its keys died. I haven't gotten around to
          attempting repair yet. I was heartbroken; that's such a fantastic
          calculator for programming use!

          > That said, I always have my phone and my tablets around so I just use
          > them with droid48 (x48). On my Linux box I have a command line version
          > of a rpl calculator (based on the hp28). I downloaded it from
          > comp.sources.misc and I've had it ever since (C portable code good!).

          WHat's the name of that rpl command line calculator? I'd love to have
          that.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
            On 12/06/2012 11:44 AM, Kyle Owen wrote:
            > However, it still wasn't until I was into my freshman year of college
            > that I really saw the benefits of RPN. My absolute favorite
            > demonstration is parallel resistance calculations. For most algebraic
            > calculators, the method is 1/(1/a+1/b), where a and b are the two
            > resistor values to be paralleled, and sometimes people even insert more
            > parenthesis than need be. On the RPN, it's just a [inv] b [inv] + [inv].
            > Far fewer keystrokes! One of my professors even made a joke (hardly a
            > joke, really) that the students who finish first on exams must all have
            > RPN calculators.

            ROFL! Yes I love my HPs for parallel resistance calculations. FAR
            easier and faster.

            > Just recently I got an HP-48g to replace my 50g, which replaced the
            > 49g+. The 50g is nice, but who needs all of those features for EE?
            > Certainly not I. The buttons on the 48g are infinitely better anyways.

            My favorite all-around calculator for lab use is the HP-41, when I'm
            at my desk writing code it is (was, see other email) an HP-28S, and for
            everything else I like the HP-48SX.

            > One day, I'll own an HP-9100A...

            Keep dreamin'.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Neil Cherry
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
              On 12/06/2012 01:03 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
              > On 12/06/2012 01:01 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:

              > > That said, I always have my phone and my tablets around so I just use
              > > them with droid48 (x48). On my Linux box I have a command line version
              > > of a rpl calculator (based on the hp28). I downloaded it from
              > > comp.sources.misc and I've had it ever since (C portable code good!).
              >
              > WHat's the name of that rpl command line calculator? I'd love to have
              > that.

              It's called rpl, somehow I named it hp28 and I left it that way (it doesn't
              do everything the HP28 does and it's a little different than the hp48).

              http://linuxha.com/athome/common/hp28-20121206.tgz

              I have a ton of hp28 manuals (including this utility manuals written by a
              3rd party). The scripting is nice and the fact that you can access the
              OS from the calculator.