Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Cheap Bit Banger's Calculator

  • Neil Cherry
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012
      On 12/05/2012 06:57 PM, corey986 wrote:

      > I can't even use a regular calculator,
      >
      > I learned on an RPN and so if I'm not using my HP-35 (being careful not to do a 2.02 ln
      > then ex) I tend to use m48 on the iPhone (free hp 48 emulator) or on the iPad I sometimes
      > use "programmer calculator" to do quick octal conversions, but I don't really use
      > "programmer calculator" for any math (remember I can't use non RPN)

      It's weird that once you go RPN it's the end. ;-) Damit, I'm an engineer not a poet!

      I have a very difficult time remembering how to order the statement for normal
      calculators. Basically it looks like LISP (Lots of Irritating, Silly Parenthesis).

      http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
      http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012
        On 12/05/2012 04:17 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
        > I don't know if you have an Android phone or not but for the Android phone
        > there is Droid48 (HP48 from the x48 project). I have this on my phone and
        > tablets. I suspect there should be one for the Apple products too. And it's
        > free. It's usually easier to find than any one of my hand held calculators.
        > Though I now find that I now can't do anything more than simple calculations
        > on anything other than an RPN calculator.

        I use i48 and i48CX on my iPhone. They're both wonderful.

        I too am an RPN-head. I haven't used an algebraic calculator in
        probably 25 years. I don't find them usable at all. The way we're
        taught "how to do math" in 2nd-3rd grade (or so) is OH so
        inefficient...and that crap gets ingrained in our brains. Ugh.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 5, 2012
          On 12/05/2012 07:08 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
          > It's weird that once you go RPN it's the end. ;-) Damit, I'm an engineer not a poet!

          Right there with you. (sorry for jumping in)

          > I have a very difficult time remembering how to order the statement for normal
          > calculators. Basically it looks like LISP (Lots of Irritating, Silly Parenthesis).

          Yeah. Having to use tons of parens as a crutch for an ineffective
          notation is really a pain.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Burning Image
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
            All this talk of RPN is making me miss my HP-97 of many, many years ago...

            Cory - WA3UVV

          • Kyle Owen
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
              My dad got me my first calculator for school when I was in 11th grade for Christmas, since an advanced graphing calculator was required for AP Calculus. He got me, not the TI-89 Titanium that everyone else had, but rather the HP-49g+. I hate to say it, but I was very disappointed that I didn't get the mainstream calculator. My dad ended up agreeing that since the school pushed for TIs that he'd get me a TI.

              It wasn't until my summer before my senior year of high school that I ended up really using the 49g+. The buttons promptly started breaking, as was the "feature" with said calculator. One of my dad's friends gave me his original college calculator, an HP-45 (HP's second scientific model), and after replacing the batteries, I was able to use it quite a bit. That got me really started with enjoying the benefits of RPN.

              However, it still wasn't until I was into my freshman year of college that I really saw the benefits of RPN. My absolute favorite demonstration is parallel resistance calculations. For most algebraic calculators, the method is 1/(1/a+1/b), where a and b are the two resistor values to be paralleled, and sometimes people even insert more parenthesis than need be. On the RPN, it's just a [inv] b [inv] + [inv]. Far fewer keystrokes! One of my professors even made a joke (hardly a joke, really) that the students who finish first on exams must all have RPN calculators.

              Just recently I got an HP-48g to replace my 50g, which replaced the 49g+. The 50g is nice, but who needs all of those features for EE? Certainly not I. The buttons on the 48g are infinitely better anyways.

              On my Android, RealCalc is a favorite, as it has a nice RPN mode. Takes a little getting used to from the 48g world, as the entry vs. x register is not as well defined in RealCalc as it is in the HP world. Entry automatically becomes x, and everything else is pushed up. In HP land, the entry is its own temporary register, which I prefer, likely because I'm used to it. Maybe I should try out a 48 emulator on Android.

              One day, I'll own an HP-9100A...

              Kyle
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
                On 12/06/2012 09:28 AM, Burning Image wrote:
                > All this talk of RPN is making me miss my HP-97 of many, many years ago...

                Wow, very cool. Most people opted for the handheld version, the 67.

                I have two 97s (I have a biggish collection of HP calculators) and
                would be willing to part with one for the right deal. I can bring it
                with me when I come to your place this weekend. Let me know if you
                wanna talk turkey.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • Neil Cherry
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
                  On 12/06/2012 11:48 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
                  > On 12/06/2012 09:28 AM, Burning Image wrote:
                  > > All this talk of RPN is making me miss my HP-97 of many, many years ago...
                  >
                  > Wow, very cool. Most people opted for the handheld version, the 67.
                  >
                  > I have two 97s (I have a biggish collection of HP calculators) and
                  > would be willing to part with one for the right deal. I can bring it
                  > with me when I come to your place this weekend. Let me know if you
                  > wanna talk turkey.

                  I still have my first HP, the HP28s (or c but I think it's the s).
                  I won't let it go (though the battery compartment is broke, a common
                  flaw on the 28). The 28 can do 'normal math' but RPN is so much easier

                  That said, I always have my phone and my tablets around so I just use
                  them with droid48 (x48). On my Linux box I have a command line version
                  of a rpl calculator (based on the hp28). I downloaded it from
                  comp.sources.misc and I've had it ever since (C portable code good!).

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
                    On 12/06/2012 01:01 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:
                    > I still have my first HP, the HP28s (or c but I think it's the s).
                    > I won't let it go (though the battery compartment is broke, a common
                    > flaw on the 28). The 28 can do 'normal math' but RPN is so much easier

                    I have a 28S as well. It was my daily driver for programming until
                    about a month ago when one of its keys died. I haven't gotten around to
                    attempting repair yet. I was heartbroken; that's such a fantastic
                    calculator for programming use!

                    > That said, I always have my phone and my tablets around so I just use
                    > them with droid48 (x48). On my Linux box I have a command line version
                    > of a rpl calculator (based on the hp28). I downloaded it from
                    > comp.sources.misc and I've had it ever since (C portable code good!).

                    WHat's the name of that rpl command line calculator? I'd love to have
                    that.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
                      On 12/06/2012 11:44 AM, Kyle Owen wrote:
                      > However, it still wasn't until I was into my freshman year of college
                      > that I really saw the benefits of RPN. My absolute favorite
                      > demonstration is parallel resistance calculations. For most algebraic
                      > calculators, the method is 1/(1/a+1/b), where a and b are the two
                      > resistor values to be paralleled, and sometimes people even insert more
                      > parenthesis than need be. On the RPN, it's just a [inv] b [inv] + [inv].
                      > Far fewer keystrokes! One of my professors even made a joke (hardly a
                      > joke, really) that the students who finish first on exams must all have
                      > RPN calculators.

                      ROFL! Yes I love my HPs for parallel resistance calculations. FAR
                      easier and faster.

                      > Just recently I got an HP-48g to replace my 50g, which replaced the
                      > 49g+. The 50g is nice, but who needs all of those features for EE?
                      > Certainly not I. The buttons on the 48g are infinitely better anyways.

                      My favorite all-around calculator for lab use is the HP-41, when I'm
                      at my desk writing code it is (was, see other email) an HP-28S, and for
                      everything else I like the HP-48SX.

                      > One day, I'll own an HP-9100A...

                      Keep dreamin'.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • Neil Cherry
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 6, 2012
                        On 12/06/2012 01:03 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
                        > On 12/06/2012 01:01 PM, Neil Cherry wrote:

                        > > That said, I always have my phone and my tablets around so I just use
                        > > them with droid48 (x48). On my Linux box I have a command line version
                        > > of a rpl calculator (based on the hp28). I downloaded it from
                        > > comp.sources.misc and I've had it ever since (C portable code good!).
                        >
                        > WHat's the name of that rpl command line calculator? I'd love to have
                        > that.

                        It's called rpl, somehow I named it hp28 and I left it that way (it doesn't
                        do everything the HP28 does and it's a little different than the hp48).

                        http://linuxha.com/athome/common/hp28-20121206.tgz

                        I have a ton of hp28 manuals (including this utility manuals written by a
                        3rd party). The scripting is nice and the fact that you can access the
                        OS from the calculator.