Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: stuff that needs to go, can bring to Festivus

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2012
      On 12/03/2012 06:24 PM, s100doctor wrote:
      >> IBM Selectric Composer. Fascinating mechanical auto-justifying
      >> typewriter from the Selectric family. This is about as high-tech
      >> as mechanical stuff gets. Unknown operating condition. Give me
      >> something in trade for this, or $50. I've offered this to a family
      >> friend who is a typewriter collector, so it is subject to prior
      >> allocation.
      > I know what this is. In the old days, people connected relays and
      > solenoids to these and turned them into printers. I don't have space
      > or priority for this, so it's good a collector has an interest.

      That's not what this is. This is an auto-justifying electric
      typewriter, marketed as a "typesetter", from the mid-60s. Its output is
      beautiful. (though I've not powered up this particularl one) There's a
      nice descriptive page about it here:

      >> Apple Personal LaserWriter LS. This is a very small 4PPM 300DPI
      >> laser printer based on the Canon LX engine. It is in mint
      >> condition, the plastic isn't even yellowed. It worked the last
      >> time it was powered up, which was several years ago. I will not
      >> cry if I end up keeping this, so I'm looking to get $50 for it.
      > Well, I sell these myself at prices not much more than that. The LS
      > is not the Postscript model I think, but if the controller is on a
      > removable tray it can be upgraded. Failure modes are the power supply
      > and the scanner motor (it spins up like a jet engine and the printer
      > never readys). i suppose, Dave, I can send a customer your way when
      > my Mac customers ask me for some Mac laser printer.

      Sure thing. I'm pretty sure this is the QuickDraw model.

      > Speaking of Mac and Apple.....if you have some ancient Apple
      > Macintosh SCSI hard drives, bring a box of them along. We can power
      > them up and listen to them spin and seek. I'd buy them on those terms
      > of testing, my "ear" knows how drives "talk"....That applies to
      > anyone else of course. Non-Apple SCSI drives...well, if they are
      > under 1GB or so and simple SCSI-1 and not three inches tall, I may
      > have an interest. No IDE's of course.

      I'm generally hanging onto low-capacity SCSI drives for other systems
      here, but I'll see what I've got.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ