re: [midatlanticretro] Festivus, moving, etc

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012

      > As to Festivus activities...This will be my first Festivus, so I don't
      > know the overall flavor. I have little (read "zero") interest in games,
      > and not a whole lot of interest in bad movies, but if anyone wants to
      > bring along (say) a PDP-11 or VAX to get operational, I'm always up for
      > that and can bring supplies. I can bring a Qbus SCSI host adapter,
      > CDROM drive, and VMS CDs, for example, if you have a Qbus VAX that needs
      > to get running. I have lots of stuff here, and I'm intimately familiar
      > with nearly all of it...let me know how I can be a useful resource.

      Maybe I will bring my pdp 11/40 power supply. I bought most of the parts I
      need to fix, I just have to install them, but I could use an expert eye to
      advise. We're not "supposed" to be working at the festivus, but a
      eeny-weeny power supply repair should be OK. And it's fun for me at least
      :-)

      Bill
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

        > As to Festivus activities...This will be my first Festivus, so I don't
        >know the overall flavor. I have little (read "zero") interest in games,
        >and not a whole lot of interest in bad movies, but if anyone wants to

        Then you and I have, at least, two things in common.

        >bring along (say) a PDP-11 or VAX to get operational, I'm always up for
        >that and can bring supplies. I can bring a Qbus SCSI host adapter,
        >CDROM drive, and VMS CDs, for example, if you have a Qbus VAX that needs
        >to get running. I have lots of stuff here, and I'm intimately familiar
        >with nearly all of it...let me know how I can be a useful resource.

        We'll have to talk about your cache of DEC stuff. I'm not interested in
        obtaining any as I've spent years trying to divest myself of old kit but
        it would be interesting to discuss nonetheless.

        "And though it seems they smile with glee, I know in truth they envy me
        and watch as my befuddled brain, shines on brightly quite insane"
      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
          > Maybe I will bring my pdp 11/40 power supply. I bought most of the parts I
          > need to fix, I just have to install them, but I could use an expert eye to
          > advise. We're not "supposed" to be working at the festivus, but a
          > eeny-weeny power supply repair should be OK. And it's fun for me at least

          If I manage to make it, I will be bringing the Winters PDP-11T03 and
          associated stuff. And maybe booze.

          --
          Will
        • s100doctor
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
            >d:
            >
            > Assuming I do make it, does anyone need anything that I might have?
            > In general that means DEC stuff...I have many hundreds of Qbus and
            > Unibus, and Omnibus boards. These are in steeply decreasing order of
            > "willing to turn loose of", but if someone has a real need, I will do my
            > best to help.

            No need to bring stuff for me at the Festivus, but I'd like to talk to you about some Unibus and PDP-8/F cards, I'll send a private email. Hopefully we can trade some things over time.

            Herb
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
              On 12/03/2012 11:50 AM, B. Degnan wrote:
              >> As to Festivus activities...This will be my first Festivus, so I
              >> don't know the overall flavor. I have little (read "zero")
              >> interest in games, and not a whole lot of interest in bad movies,
              >> but if anyone wants to bring along (say) a PDP-11 or VAX to get
              >> operational, I'm always up for that and can bring supplies. I
              >> can bring a Qbus SCSI host adapter, CDROM drive, and VMS CDs, for
              >> example, if you have a Qbus VAX that needs to get running. I
              >> have lots of stuff here, and I'm intimately familiar with nearly
              >> all of it...let me know how I can be a useful resource.
              >
              > Maybe I will bring my pdp 11/40 power supply. I bought most of the
              > parts I need to fix, I just have to install them, but I could use
              > an expert eye to advise. We're not "supposed" to be working at the
              > festivus, but a eeny-weeny power supply repair should be OK. And
              > it's fun for me at least :-)

              Ahh I was unaware of the "not supposed to be working" part.

              While I occasionally make money with PDP-11s and VAXen, my efforts
              with them are largely recreational in nature. Surely that must count
              for something. ;) If that would be allowed, I would be happy to work
              on that power supply with you.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
                >> Ahh I was unaware of the "not supposed to be working" part.

                Bill was sort of joking. Working on equipment at Festivus is fine, but keep in mind that there will be lots of food, drink, and noise. After all, it's a party.
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
                  On 12/03/2012 06:50 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  >>> Ahh I was unaware of the "not supposed to be working" part.
                  >
                  > Bill was sort of joking. Working on equipment at Festivus is fine, but keep in mind that there will be lots of food, drink, and noise. After all, it's a party.

                  Sounds good to me!

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
                    On 12/03/2012 02:00 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                    >> As to Festivus activities...This will be my first Festivus, so I don't
                    >> know the overall flavor. I have little (read "zero") interest in games,
                    >> and not a whole lot of interest in bad movies, but if anyone wants to
                    >
                    > Then you and I have, at least, two things in common.

                    At least!

                    >> bring along (say) a PDP-11 or VAX to get operational, I'm always up for
                    >> that and can bring supplies. I can bring a Qbus SCSI host adapter,
                    >> CDROM drive, and VMS CDs, for example, if you have a Qbus VAX that needs
                    >> to get running. I have lots of stuff here, and I'm intimately familiar
                    >> with nearly all of it...let me know how I can be a useful resource.
                    >
                    > We'll have to talk about your cache of DEC stuff. I'm not interested in
                    > obtaining any as I've spent years trying to divest myself of old kit but
                    > it would be interesting to discuss nonetheless.

                    Sounds great! DECtalk (the activity, not the speech synthesizer) is
                    good for the soul, at least for people like us.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
                      Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                      >On 12/03/2012 02:00 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote: >> As to
                      >Festivus activities...This will be my first Festivus, so I don't >> know
                      >the overall flavor. I have little (read "zero") interest in games, >>
                      >and not a whole lot of interest in bad movies, but if anyone wants to >
                      >> Then you and I have, at least, two things in common.
                      >
                      > At least!
                      >
                      >>> bring along (say) a PDP-11 or VAX to get operational, I'm always up
                      >for >> that and can bring supplies. I can bring a Qbus SCSI host
                      >adapter, >> CDROM drive, and VMS CDs, for example, if you have a Qbus
                      >VAX that needs >> to get running. I have lots of stuff here, and I'm
                      >intimately familiar >> with nearly all of it...let me know how I can be
                      >a useful resource. > > We'll have to talk about your cache of DEC stuff.
                      > I'm not interested in > obtaining any as I've spent years trying to
                      >divest myself of old kit but > it would be interesting to discuss
                      >nonetheless.
                      >
                      > Sounds great! DECtalk (the activity, not the speech synthesizer) is
                      >good for the soul, at least for people like us.

                      Well, I do have DECtalks too. DTC01 and 2 fully (8) populated DTC03s.

                      The voice of Stephen Hawking is always fun at parties.

                      "And though it seems they smile with glee, I know in truth they envy me
                      and watch as my befuddled brain, shines on brightly quite insane"
                    • J. Alexander Jacocks
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
                        On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- <VAXman@...> wrote:

                        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                        >On 12/03/2012 02:00 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote: >> As to
                        >Festivus activities...This will be my first Festivus, so I don't >> know
                        >the overall flavor. I have little (read "zero") interest in games, >>
                        >and not a whole lot of interest in bad movies, but if anyone wants to >
                        >> Then you and I have, at least, two things in common.
                        >
                        > At least!
                        >
                        >>> bring along (say) a PDP-11 or VAX to get operational, I'm always up
                        >for >> that and can bring supplies. I can bring a Qbus SCSI host
                        >adapter, >> CDROM drive, and VMS CDs, for example, if you have a Qbus
                        >VAX that needs >> to get running. I have lots of stuff here, and I'm
                        >intimately familiar >> with nearly all of it...let me know how I can be
                        >a useful resource. > > We'll have to talk about your cache of DEC stuff.
                        > I'm not interested in > obtaining any as I've spent years trying to
                        >divest myself of old kit but > it would be interesting to discuss
                        >nonetheless.
                        >
                        > Sounds great! DECtalk (the activity, not the speech synthesizer) is
                        >good for the soul, at least for people like us.

                        Well, I do have DECtalks too. DTC01 and 2 fully (8) populated DTC03s.

                        The voice of Stephen Hawking is always fun at parties.

                        I'll be bringing an Atari 1040STF (with color monitor), an Amiga 1000, and I'm not sure what else.

                        I'll see what calls out to me to be traded.

                        - Alex
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
                          On 12/03/2012 07:54 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                          >> Sounds great! DECtalk (the activity, not the speech synthesizer) is
                          >> good for the soul, at least for people like us.
                          >
                          > Well, I do have DECtalks too. DTC01 and 2 fully (8) populated DTC03s.

                          Most excellent. :-)

                          > The voice of Stephen Hawking is always fun at parties.

                          No doubt!

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • Dan Roganti
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 4, 2012
                            On 12/3/2012 11:15 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
                            > As of three days ago, my move from Florida to Pennsylvania is now
                            > complete. It took fifteen months, ten trucks, and about $27,000.

                            I think it would be apropo to include the tonnage here to grasp a more
                            realistic view :)

                            Dan
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 4, 2012
                              On 12/04/2012 09:05 AM, Dan Roganti wrote:
                              >> As of three days ago, my move from Florida to Pennsylvania is now
                              >> complete. It took fifteen months, ten trucks, and about $27,000.
                              >
                              > I think it would be apropo to include the tonnage here to grasp a more
                              > realistic view :)

                              Unfortunately that would be pretty tough to estimate. :-(

                              However, the term "A FRIGGIN' LOT" comes to mind.

                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                              New Kensington, PA
                            • Dan Roganti
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 4, 2012
                                On 12/4/2012 9:19 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
                                > On 12/04/2012 09:05 AM, Dan Roganti wrote:
                                >>> As of three days ago, my move from Florida to Pennsylvania is now
                                >>> complete. It took fifteen months, ten trucks, and about $27,000.
                                >> I think it would be apropo to include the tonnage here to grasp a more
                                >> realistic view :)
                                > Unfortunately that would be pretty tough to estimate. :-(
                                >
                                > However, the term "A FRIGGIN' LOT" comes to mind.

                                I concur :)

                                Dan
                              • Systems Glitch
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 4, 2012
                                  I may bring some stuff I'm wanting to clear out. I've got a working (except for the disk drive) PS/2 Model 30 and a Macintosh LC with Apple IIe card and Ethernet board (only one can be used at a time) that both need new homes. I've got an IBM 5150 that also needs a new home (works, has AST SixPak to bring it up to 640K, needs drives but has disk controllers) but I'm not lugging it down unless someone is specifically interested in it.

                                  If anyone is looking for any specific parts that I may have, let me know. As usual, I've got tons of neat LED displays. And I've still got a boatload of 64 MB and 128 MB IDE industrial Flash modules which, while not even a little vintage, work very well as hard disk replacements. 100% compatible with the XT-IDE too.

                                  I'm looking for an Intel MCS-85 System Development Kit if anyone has one they'd like to let go. Doesn't matter if it works or not, though I'd prefer one with all of the keys intact. S-100 and OSI stuff is always welcome for a trade :D

                                  Also, if someone wants to bring one of those hard sector punches, I'll bring some 5.25" floppies to punch.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Jonathan