stuff that needs to go, can bring to Festivus

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2012
      There are a lot of things around here that need to go, but only a few
      of them will fit in my (tiny) car. These can be brought to Festivus if
      I end up attending. (which I likely will, see other email)

      I have an effectively unlimited supply of 9-track magtapes. They are
      used, but in good shape. Some of them have broken outer bands, but this
      only matters if you have a 9-track tape rack to store them in. I have
      over a thousand tapes here, and I want to get rid of a few hundred.
      These are free, but any token swappage would not be turned down.
      Separately, I will bring at least a few boxes to donate to the MARCH
      museum for their use.

      I have a bunch of DECserver-100 and -200 terminal servers. Some are
      rackmount, some are tabletop. (the difference is the plastic outer
      shroud and the rack mount ears) They are in unknown condition, but I
      can at least power-test them before departure. If you're unfamiliar
      with these...they connect up to eight serial devices (ostensibly
      terminals) to Ethernet, and speak the DEC LAT protocol. They boot from
      a MOP server on the network; this can be done by a DEC OS, or by mopd
      under Linux. I have all required boot image files. They have AUI
      connectors; you'll likely need 10baseT transceivers. These are actually
      really nice terminal servers. They can be used to log into DEC systems,
      or via "reverse LAT" to cause "virtual" serial ports to appear on some
      DEC systems, for connection to printers, modems, etc. I'd like
      something small in trade for these, or maybe $15/ea. Please specify
      rackmount or tabletop.

      Small UPSes. All APC. 500VA-1000VA, several available. These may or
      may not work; they've been sitting around for years, but they will
      definitely need new batteries. (that's not tough, as you hopefully know)
      Hey, they're free. ;)

      Sun Netra T1-105s. These are 1U rackmount 64-bit UltraSPARC-II
      servers. Way off-topic for here; they are not antiques. They make
      fantastic small network servers. They run (current) Solaris and BSD.
      Various configs...I don't have time to test these, but will help people
      get them running. I'd like something small in trade for these, or maybe
      $25/ea. I have several available.

      IBM Selectric Composer. Fascinating mechanical auto-justifying
      typewriter from the Selectric family. This is about as high-tech as
      mechanical stuff gets. Unknown operating condition. Give me something
      in trade for this, or $50. I've offered this to a family friend who is
      a typewriter collector, so it is subject to prior allocation.

      Apple Personal LaserWriter LS. This is a very small 4PPM 300DPI laser
      printer based on the Canon LX engine. It is in mint condition, the
      plastic isn't even yellowed. It worked the last time it was powered up,
      which was several years ago. I will not cry if I end up keeping this,
      so I'm looking to get $50 for it.

      Tektronix 11401 digitizing oscilloscope. This is a big unit. It's a
      top-end digital scope with a very nice and somewhat unusual touch-screen
      user interface. It's plug-in-based with three bays. It's currently
      populated with one dual-trace plug-in and two blanks. Plug-ins show up
      on eBay all the time, including quad-trace ones. This is a
      research-grade instrument. $150.

      SPARCstations. I have a bunch, of pretty much every model. I can let
      some go for free. Also matching drive boxes, etc. Email me with what
      you want.

      There's more but that's all I can come up with at the moment. Email
      me privately with what you want me to bring. First come, first served.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2012

        > IBM Selectric Composer. Fascinating mechanical auto-justifying
        > typewriter from the Selectric family. This is about as high-tech as
        > mechanical stuff gets. Unknown operating condition. Give me something
        > in trade for this, or $50. I've offered this to a family friend who is
        > a typewriter collector, so it is subject to prior allocation.

        I know what this is. In the old days, people connected relays and solenoids to these and turned them into printers. I don't have space or priority for this, so it's good a collector has an interest.

        > Apple Personal LaserWriter LS. This is a very small 4PPM 300DPI laser
        > printer based on the Canon LX engine. It is in mint condition, the
        > plastic isn't even yellowed. It worked the last time it was powered up,
        > which was several years ago. I will not cry if I end up keeping this,
        > so I'm looking to get $50 for it.

        Well, I sell these myself at prices not much more than that. The LS is not the Postscript model I think, but if the controller is on a removable tray it can be upgraded. Failure modes are the power supply and the scanner motor (it spins up like a jet engine and the printer never readys). i suppose, Dave, I can send a customer your way when my Mac customers ask me for some Mac laser printer.

        Speaking of Mac and Apple.....if you have some ancient Apple Macintosh SCSI hard drives, bring a box of them along. We can power them up and listen to them spin and seek. I'd buy them on those terms of testing, my "ear" knows how drives "talk"....That applies to anyone else of course. Non-Apple SCSI drives...well, if they are under 1GB or so and simple SCSI-1 and not three inches tall, I may have an interest. No IDE's of course.

        Herb
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2012
          On 12/03/2012 06:24 PM, s100doctor wrote:
          >> IBM Selectric Composer. Fascinating mechanical auto-justifying
          >> typewriter from the Selectric family. This is about as high-tech
          >> as mechanical stuff gets. Unknown operating condition. Give me
          >> something in trade for this, or $50. I've offered this to a family
          >> friend who is a typewriter collector, so it is subject to prior
          >> allocation.
          >
          > I know what this is. In the old days, people connected relays and
          > solenoids to these and turned them into printers. I don't have space
          > or priority for this, so it's good a collector has an interest.

          That's not what this is. This is an auto-justifying electric
          typewriter, marketed as a "typesetter", from the mid-60s. Its output is
          beautiful. (though I've not powered up this particularl one) There's a
          nice descriptive page about it here:

          http://ibmcomposer.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=62

          >> Apple Personal LaserWriter LS. This is a very small 4PPM 300DPI
          >> laser printer based on the Canon LX engine. It is in mint
          >> condition, the plastic isn't even yellowed. It worked the last
          >> time it was powered up, which was several years ago. I will not
          >> cry if I end up keeping this, so I'm looking to get $50 for it.
          >
          > Well, I sell these myself at prices not much more than that. The LS
          > is not the Postscript model I think, but if the controller is on a
          > removable tray it can be upgraded. Failure modes are the power supply
          > and the scanner motor (it spins up like a jet engine and the printer
          > never readys). i suppose, Dave, I can send a customer your way when
          > my Mac customers ask me for some Mac laser printer.

          Sure thing. I'm pretty sure this is the QuickDraw model.

          > Speaking of Mac and Apple.....if you have some ancient Apple
          > Macintosh SCSI hard drives, bring a box of them along. We can power
          > them up and listen to them spin and seek. I'd buy them on those terms
          > of testing, my "ear" knows how drives "talk"....That applies to
          > anyone else of course. Non-Apple SCSI drives...well, if they are
          > under 1GB or so and simple SCSI-1 and not three inches tall, I may
          > have an interest. No IDE's of course.

          I'm generally hanging onto low-capacity SCSI drives for other systems
          here, but I'll see what I've got.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ