Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Repair of MARCH Commodore PET 2001 chiclet keyboard

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 2, 2012
      From: joshbensadon
      Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2012 7:24 PM

      > We have it all reassembled. Took a few adjustments but now it works
      > perfect.

      >Very good! I'm sure it will work well enough for the rest of it's service
      >life. I will likely have to do the same with my PET. Was my other advice
      >helpful?

      Not really. I just used ordinary household aluminum. It looks like that is
      what the previous owner did. They wrap it around the bottom of the black
      rubber piece and fold it up on the sides. Then insert into the plastic
      plunger and it is therefore tucked in and won't come apart. It is nice and
      flat.

      >Say, I noticed your PET has a blue label on it, where mine has a black
      >label. Would you know why that is?

      I don't know the reason why there is a blue label. I just know that it is
      more rare than the black one. My hypothesis, based on limited google
      searching, is that the blue one was the original and was much nicer etched
      label, then to save money they did the black one which is a cheaper sticker
      that they can just slap on. You can ask Bryan Pope, he knows a lot more
      about the PETs than I do.

      Jeff B
    • joshbensadon
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 3, 2012

        > > Was my other advice helpful?
        >
        > Not really. I just used ordinary household aluminum.

        Oh well :( It was fun throwing ideas out there just the same.

        > I don't know the reason why there is a blue label. I just know that it is
        > more rare than the black one.

        Rare or not, it definitely looks much cooler!

        > You can ask Bryan Pope, he knows a lot more
        > about the PETs than I do.

        I was hoping to see Bryan on the weekend at World of Commodore, but I missed him.

        Cheers,
        Josh