Re: Repair of MARCH Commodore PET 2001 chiclet keyboard

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 2, 2012

      > Do you think that ordinary household aluminum foil would work ok ?

      It will definitely be able to conduct. A little care and you can craft a piece small enough to fit. The trick will be how to make it stick without fail to the rubber. I have not taken my keyboard apart, so I'm not sure exactly what you're looking at. I am just envisioning the classic rubber domes with conductive rubber buttons on the inside of these domes. The rubber is soft enough to allow you to sew the aluminum foil. Perhaps 1 stitch? Down and up, tie or glue the ends together on the top part of the dome? The thread will sink out of the way when you press the button to allow the foil to make contact?

      It's just a wild idea, might work? It might not give the hundreds of thousands of working operations. But for such a computer, if you even get a solution that works for a few thousand operations, that ought to be good enough (considering this will never be a production machine again).

      I also have a hard time imagining someone spending 8 hours on that little keyboard. I wonder how long it took Commodore to come out with the full keyboard?

      Cheers,
      Josh

      PS. I'd love to see some pics. I will probably be needing to fix my keyboard the same way some time next year, sounds like this is a common problem? I don't have the luxury swapping keyboards.
    • joshbensadon
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 3, 2012

        > > Was my other advice helpful?
        >
        > Not really. I just used ordinary household aluminum.

        Oh well :( It was fun throwing ideas out there just the same.

        > I don't know the reason why there is a blue label. I just know that it is
        > more rare than the black one.

        Rare or not, it definitely looks much cooler!

        > You can ask Bryan Pope, he knows a lot more
        > about the PETs than I do.

        I was hoping to see Bryan on the weekend at World of Commodore, but I missed him.

        Cheers,
        Josh