Re: Repair of MARCH Commodore PET 2001 chiclet keyboard

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 1, 2012

      > From: B. Degnan
      >
      > >Guys guys guys....this is a very easy repair, no need for tape or anything
      > >A little isopl. on the circuitboard too.
      > >Try that first.
      >
      > Yes, I already used 90% isopropyl alcohol with cotton swabs to remove any
      > dirt from the circuit board, keys, and everything that involves the

      Right, I saw that in your email post, which is why I thought you had already done all this.

      > >Jeff - with the keyboard removed can you activate the dead keys by touching
      > >the circuit board, with your thumb?
      >
      > When I press the circuit board with my fingers, *nothing* happens.

      A dry finger won't do, you need to have a moist finger and even that sometimes doesn't work, depends on the value of the pull up resistors.
      Bottom line, metal contact is working, go with what works. I suggested aluminum tape because it's thin, has a very good self adhesive and is metal. Another option would be to use a dark pencil, like B2 or B4, test it first by darkening a dot on a paper and see if this paper can serve as the contactor. Grind a bunch of the lead, find a glue that sticks to the old contactor, dip it into this pencil lead powder.

      These are just idea's, but they should work.

      Cheers,
      Josh
    • joshbensadon
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 3, 2012

        > > Was my other advice helpful?
        >
        > Not really. I just used ordinary household aluminum.

        Oh well :( It was fun throwing ideas out there just the same.

        > I don't know the reason why there is a blue label. I just know that it is
        > more rare than the black one.

        Rare or not, it definitely looks much cooler!

        > You can ask Bryan Pope, he knows a lot more
        > about the PETs than I do.

        I was hoping to see Bryan on the weekend at World of Commodore, but I missed him.

        Cheers,
        Josh