Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Repair of MARCH Commodore PET 2001 chiclet keyboard

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 30, 2012
      From: B. Degnan
      Sent: Friday, November 30, 2012 4:37 PM

      >Guys guys guys....this is a very easy repair, no need for tape or anything
      >like that. No metal actually touches the keyboard just a rubber pad...look
      >here, see? if you take off the 18 screws on the back of the keyboard you'll
      >see
      >that it's all plastic and rubber. Use a little isopropyl alcohol on the
      >small circles at the center of the keys, where they make contact with the
      >circuit board...no like this, right.
      >A little isopl. on the circuitboard too.
      >Try that first.

      Yes, I already used 90% isopropyl alcohol with cotton swabs to remove any
      dirt from the circuit board, keys, and everything that involves the
      keyboard. The circuit board was not that dirty. The other areas of keyboard
      seemed a little dirty and didn't seem to be affecting the responsiveness of
      the keys, but I cleaned it anyway.

      >Jeff - with the keyboard removed can you activate the dead keys by touching
      >the circuit board, with your thumb?

      When I press the circuit board with my fingers, *nothing* happens. When I
      press the circuit board of a known bad contact with a regular plunger
      rubber, *nothing* happens. When I use one with the metal foil on the bottom
      *something* happens. All this was stated in my museum report of last
      Sunday.

      Jeff B
    • joshbensadon
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 3, 2012

        > > Was my other advice helpful?
        >
        > Not really. I just used ordinary household aluminum.

        Oh well :( It was fun throwing ideas out there just the same.

        > I don't know the reason why there is a blue label. I just know that it is
        > more rare than the black one.

        Rare or not, it definitely looks much cooler!

        > You can ask Bryan Pope, he knows a lot more
        > about the PETs than I do.

        I was hoping to see Bryan on the weekend at World of Commodore, but I missed him.

        Cheers,
        Josh