Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Theft of Claude Kagan's Intel MCB8-10

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
      >> Please tell me, does this sort of thing happen regularly?

      I've never heard of a theft in our hobby (since early '00s when I got into it.)
    • William Donzelli
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
        > I've never heard of a theft in our hobby (since early '00s when I got into
        > it.)

        I have heard of a few things that disappeared from various collections
        (and I will not comment further). I even see theft every year, when
        someone needs a discount from my hamfest table, when I am not around.
        I have even caught a few red handed.

        Anyway, Claude's machine was kept in the house, which did not burn,
        but who knows - he was not exact Mr. Organization.

        --
        Will
      • LarryS
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
          As yet, I have not seen either the development chassis nor the development board itself; still looking!

          Larry Schear, Executor for the Estate of Claude A. R. Kagan

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
            Well at least you have the picture from my site for reference, should you
            come across one on Ebay... Dave reminded me about the fact that it was the
            boards that were missing, meaning that he misplaced or whatever before TCF
            2008, they could be long gone by now.
            bd

          • jack.rubin@ameritech.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012
              I visited Claude several years ago specifically to copy the ROMs in the MCB8 system (it's actually pictured in his Reckoner article) and there were no boards in it then. At that time he said that he had lent the boards to someone. Maybe when they never came back, he called them stolen. Maybe he just forgot ...

              Will, this was the time frame when I was working with RCSRI and the weasel to try to find a home for the Burroughs. Might have even been pre-MARCH timeframe?

              Jack

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012
                >> Might have even been pre-MARCH timeframe?

                MARCH formed from summer '04 through spring '05.
              • William Donzelli
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012
                  > Will, this was the time frame when I was working with RCSRI and the weasel
                  > to try to find a home for the Burroughs. Might have even been pre-MARCH
                  > timeframe?

                  If I look through my email, I could probably get an early date benchmark.

                  My guess is also that it is 2007 or 2008. Long gone by now.

                  --
                  Will
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012
                    On Fri, 30 Nov 2012, jack.rubin@... wrote:

                    > Will, this was the time frame when I was working with RCSRI and the
                    > weasel to try to find a home for the Burroughs. Might have even been
                    > pre-MARCH timeframe?

                    The "weasel"? Inquiring minds want to know.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • William Donzelli
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012

                      > The "weasel"? Inquiring minds want to know.

                      Reverend Weasel aka Merle Pierce.

                      RICM guy.

                      --
                      Will

                    • s100doctor
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 4, 2012
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "LarryS" <larry.schear@...> wrote:

                        > As yet, I have not seen either the development chassis nor the development board itself; still looking!
                        >
                        > Larry Schear, Executor for the Estate of Claude A. R. Kagan

                        I'm not very comfortable with this discussion and speculation about Claude's 8008 system. Larry is informed about it, based on my experiences with Claude and his Intel 8008 chassis. As for the CPU board, it was lost several years ago, and by the nature of "lost" it's UNCLEAR what happened to it.

                        I trust Larry to deal with these matters; anyone with information pertinent to Claude's estate should contact Larry; or contact Evan who I presume will contact Larry accordingly.

                        Herb Johnson