Claude Kagan's Intel MCB8-10

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 28, 2012
      Did anyone ever find Claude's Intel dev system? He said it was stolen from
      him.

      http://www.vintagecomputer.net/tcf_2008/intel_MCBS-10_control_module.JPG

      I took this picture in 2008, shortly before it disappeared.

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 28, 2012
        >> Did anyone ever find Claude's Intel dev system? He said it was stolen from him.

        I don't know. I recall him asking about it at the Trenton event that year.

        Two things that could've happened:
        - he misplaced it, given his vision problems
        - it's somewhere in the depths of our warehouse
      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
          On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 10:54:28PM -0500, B. Degnan wrote:
          > Did anyone ever find Claude's Intel dev system? He said it was stolen from
          > him.

          At the last time I talked to him about it no.

          > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/tcf_2008/intel_MCBS-10_control_module.JPG
          >
          > I took this picture in 2008, shortly before it disappeared.

          Actually it was the card(s) that plugged in that were stolen. The unit in
          your picture should have still been around.
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012

            > On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 10:54:28PM -0500, B. Degnan wrote:
            > > Did anyone ever find Claude's Intel dev system? He said it was stolen
            from
            > > him.
            > >
            > At the last time I talked to him about it no.

            http://www.vintagecomputer.net/tcf_2008/intel_MCBS-10_control_module.JPG

            > > I took this picture in 2008, shortly before it disappeared.
            > >
            > Actually it was the card(s) that plugged in that were stolen. The unit
            in
            > your picture should have still been around.

            Now I remember it was the cards that were missing. I have not seen them
            myself at MARCH, nor the main unit. Wonder if the MCB8-10 survived the
            fire.
            bd
          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
              > > Actually it was the card(s) that plugged in that were stolen. The unit

              The idea of theft disgusts me. I am a bit shocked to hear that someone would steal such art, then again, there's been art thieves almost as long as there's been art. I just thought there would be more honour amongst vintage computer/electronics geeks.

              Please tell me, does this sort of thing happen regularly?

              Cheers,
              Josh
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
                >> Please tell me, does this sort of thing happen regularly?

                I've never heard of a theft in our hobby (since early '00s when I got into it.)
              • William Donzelli
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
                  > I've never heard of a theft in our hobby (since early '00s when I got into
                  > it.)

                  I have heard of a few things that disappeared from various collections
                  (and I will not comment further). I even see theft every year, when
                  someone needs a discount from my hamfest table, when I am not around.
                  I have even caught a few red handed.

                  Anyway, Claude's machine was kept in the house, which did not burn,
                  but who knows - he was not exact Mr. Organization.

                  --
                  Will
                • LarryS
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
                    As yet, I have not seen either the development chassis nor the development board itself; still looking!

                    Larry Schear, Executor for the Estate of Claude A. R. Kagan

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
                      Well at least you have the picture from my site for reference, should you
                      come across one on Ebay... Dave reminded me about the fact that it was the
                      boards that were missing, meaning that he misplaced or whatever before TCF
                      2008, they could be long gone by now.
                      bd

                    • jack.rubin@ameritech.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012
                        I visited Claude several years ago specifically to copy the ROMs in the MCB8 system (it's actually pictured in his Reckoner article) and there were no boards in it then. At that time he said that he had lent the boards to someone. Maybe when they never came back, he called them stolen. Maybe he just forgot ...

                        Will, this was the time frame when I was working with RCSRI and the weasel to try to find a home for the Burroughs. Might have even been pre-MARCH timeframe?

                        Jack

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012
                          >> Might have even been pre-MARCH timeframe?

                          MARCH formed from summer '04 through spring '05.
                        • William Donzelli
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012
                            > Will, this was the time frame when I was working with RCSRI and the weasel
                            > to try to find a home for the Burroughs. Might have even been pre-MARCH
                            > timeframe?

                            If I look through my email, I could probably get an early date benchmark.

                            My guess is also that it is 2007 or 2008. Long gone by now.

                            --
                            Will
                          • Mike Loewen
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012
                              On Fri, 30 Nov 2012, jack.rubin@... wrote:

                              > Will, this was the time frame when I was working with RCSRI and the
                              > weasel to try to find a home for the Burroughs. Might have even been
                              > pre-MARCH timeframe?

                              The "weasel"? Inquiring minds want to know.

                              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                            • William Donzelli
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012

                                > The "weasel"? Inquiring minds want to know.

                                Reverend Weasel aka Merle Pierce.

                                RICM guy.

                                --
                                Will

                              • s100doctor
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 4, 2012
                                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "LarryS" <larry.schear@...> wrote:

                                  > As yet, I have not seen either the development chassis nor the development board itself; still looking!
                                  >
                                  > Larry Schear, Executor for the Estate of Claude A. R. Kagan

                                  I'm not very comfortable with this discussion and speculation about Claude's 8008 system. Larry is informed about it, based on my experiences with Claude and his Intel 8008 chassis. As for the CPU board, it was lost several years ago, and by the nature of "lost" it's UNCLEAR what happened to it.

                                  I trust Larry to deal with these matters; anyone with information pertinent to Claude's estate should contact Larry; or contact Evan who I presume will contact Larry accordingly.

                                  Herb Johnson