Good news

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 23, 2006
      Fred @ InfoAge says Mr. Grabbe -- donator of most of the collection we're
      handling -- will be attending the April 1 event. So we can finally meet him
      and arrange a time to accept the remainder of his computers.
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 15, 2008
        Message
        Next Saturday afernoon, Feb. 23, a volunteer from central PA is transporting the remainder of Dr. Grabbe's collection to InfoAge.

        The volunteer read about MARCH in the latest InfoAge newsletter.  Said he was visiting his brother in NJ recently and the brother is into amateur radio, which explains why he had the newsletter.  And, the volunteer is in the same ACM chapter as Grabbe himself.  So that worked out very nicely for us!

        I have no idea what's in the remainder of the collection, but it will be fun to find out ...

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 15, 2008
          Message
          Update ... 3pm next Sat. is the delivery time ... would be helpful to have some extra man(nerd)power there for schlepping.
          Next Saturday afernoon, Feb. 23, a volunteer from central PA is transporting the remainder of Dr. Grabbe's collection to InfoAge.

          The volunteer read about MARCH in the latest InfoAge newsletter.  Said he was visiting his brother in NJ recently and the brother is into amateur radio, which explains why he had the newsletter.  And, the volunteer is in the same ACM chapter as Grabbe himself.  So that worked out very nicely for us!

          I have no idea what's in the remainder of the collection, but it will be fun to find out ...

        • Evan
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 6, 2008
            This past weekend, InfoAge's laborers (under the guidance of Fred) moved an entire room worth of vintage computers into the MARCH section of one of the H-buildings. Everything made it okay. This was a lot of the Perkin-Elmer gear and some other things too big to go into the basement but not yet ready to exhibit. Next, InfoAge volunteers will renovate that room (it's the fourth/last of our exhibit rooms).
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 6, 2008
              At 04:48 PM 8/6/2008 -0400, you wrote:
              >This past weekend, InfoAge's laborers (under the guidance of Fred) moved
              >an entire room worth of vintage computers into the MARCH section of one of
              >the H-buildings. Everything made it okay. This was a lot of the
              >Perkin-Elmer gear and some other things too big to go into the basement
              >but not yet ready to exhibit. Next, InfoAge volunteers will renovate that
              >room (it's the fourth/last of our exhibit rooms).

              good to hear.

              Bill
            • Bob Applegate
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 6, 2008
                I'll eventually make it up there and take a good look at the P-E stuff.  I ran a number of their
                machines for a few years.  They were very popular for big number crunching applications,
                such as for incoming data from the dishes at the VLA radio telescope

                Bob

              • evan@snarc.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 9, 2009
                  We have an Infoage person who's volunteered to sell tickets @ VCF the first day.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 9, 2009
                    evan@... wrote:
                    > We have an Infoage person who's volunteered to sell tickets @ VCF the first day.

                    I was about to suggest we set up a self-service kiosk and use our web
                    site accept payment via paypal. Why not, if people pay by paypal (or in
                    advance) they can use their cash for vendor items instead.

                    Bill
                  • Joe Giliberti
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 9, 2009
                      I would think that would require too much organization and coordination on a day when all of our's is used up

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 9, 2009
                        >> I was about to suggest we set up a self-service kiosk and use our web
                        site accept payment via paypal. Why not, if people pay by paypal (or in
                        advance) they can use their cash for vendor items instead.

                        Infoage's web access is too spotty. Anyway, we're all set now.
                      • evan@snarc.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 28, 2010
                          In about two weeks from now, Infoage's dining room (big event room with the hardware floor) and lounge (where we served food at VCF) will both have air conditioning and heat.
                        • Jeffrey Brace
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 28, 2010
                            woo hoo !  love any progress to making Infoage more comfy. What is the plan about the rest of InfoAge concerning Heating and cooling ?

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 28, 2010
                              From what I recall, Fred is taking bids to install HVAC in sections of H section 9010. The L Building (9032) and the Telecom Building (9059) have central heat and air, and any place else that needs it will likely have a window unit

                              Joe