Dumb question, upload/download standard.

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 26, 2012
      Speaking of fleeting memories...

      I can't remember for sure the correct naming of uploading or downloading. Please let me explain my question by case scenario.

      Case 1
      I dial a BBS computer and want to get a copy of a file from the BBS to my computer. I would clearly say that I'm downloading the file to my computer, does this mean the BBS is uploading it to my computer? Would I then ask the BBS to upload the file? or would you say the BBS is downloading the file, hence I'd ask the BBS to download?

      Case 2
      I'm adding Floppy drive support to the monitor program in my IMSAI 8080. My PC is running a terminal program and I select Upload to send a file to the IMSAI so it will write it to 8" disk. I'm choosing on my terminal program to Upload, what is the logical name to give the counter part function on the IMSAI? Case 1 logic suggests I should select a "Download" function on the IMSAI, but that doesn't sound intuitive. Does it?

      ie, should the host system present it's choices based on it's own point of view or the client's point of view?

      Is there a right or wrong here? a preferred method? or is it every man for themselves?

      Thanks,
      Josh
    • Justin Jernigan
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 26, 2012

        > Case 1
        > I dial a BBS computer and want to get a copy of a file from the BBS to my computer. I would clearly say that I'm downloading the file to my computer, does this mean the BBS is uploading it to my computer? Would I then ask the BBS to upload the file? or would you say the BBS is downloading the file, hence I'd ask the BBS to download?

        The BBS is the host. You are either downloading from it (receiving) or uploading to it (sending). In my BBS days -- terminal programs were labeled as send or receive. You would tell the BBS you are going to upload a file and tell your terminal to send a file.
      • Ken
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 26, 2012

          At 11/26/2012 08:47 PM, Justin Jernigan wrote:
          >The BBS is the host. You are either downloading from it (receiving) or uploading to it (sending). In my BBS days -- terminal programs were labeled as send or receive. You would tell the BBS you are going to upload a file and tell your terminal to send a file.

          To say it another way: When you were a user dialing into a BBS, the BBS presented things from your perspective, not from its perspective. So, the BBS command to get a file from the BBS would be "download," which really meant "user wants to download from BBS," while to send a file to the BBS would be "upload." Even though the user was technically controlling the BBS, he was doing so through an interface that presented things from his perspective outside of the BBS.

          This was/is in contrast to the experience of a remote user of a command-line *nix system, who might type sz to tell the remote system to send a file to him, as opposed to giving a receive/download command to the remote system the way a BBS user does.

          If there were an imaginary other interface that were presented to a sysop trying to initiate those same actions between a remote user and the BBS, I could imagine the commands being reversed (i.e. where "upload" meant that the BBS was going to do the uploading, i.e. send a file to the remote user), but I'm pretty sure BBS's didn't do it this way, instead going with the paradigm of the sysop acting like he was taking over the remote user's interface, and thus the commands and perspective remained from the remote user. And I would say this was a good approach.

          IMO, the meaning of "download" was later confused by the AOL and post-AOL masses, who seem to use it to mean any direction of file transfer, which still irritates me. You "download from" and you "upload to." You do not "download to." At least, not in my 70's world.

          - Ken
        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 26, 2012
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Jernigan" <jaj@...> wrote:
            > The BBS is the host. You are either downloading from it (receiving) or uploading to it (sending). In my BBS days -- terminal programs were labeled as send or receive. You would tell the BBS you are going to upload a file and tell your terminal to send a file.

            Right, so the BBS named function to receive a file (upload) matches the client's function to send the file (upload). I'm still using Telix 3.2 from my BBS days, and you select upload or download with PgUp/PgDn.

            I'm going to guess it's like the DTE/DCE wiring standard. Host systems name the function according to the client operation.

            Cheers,
            Josh
          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 26, 2012
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Ken <kenzolist@...> wrote:

              > At 11/26/2012 04:40 PM, joshbensadon wrote:

              > To say it another way: When you were a user dialing into a BBS, the BBS presented things from your perspective, not from its perspective. So, the BBS command to get a file from the BBS would be "download," which really meant "user wants to download from BBS," while to send a file to the BBS would be "upload." Even though the user was technically controlling the BBS, he was doing so through an interface that presented things from his perspective outside of the BBS.
              >
              > - Ken

              Thanks Ken, Yes, this makes the most sense, always present functions from the end user's perspective.

              Cheers,
              Josh