Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Lobo floppy drives

    Message 1 of 40 , Nov 26, 2012
      On 11/26/2012 09:15 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> years ago. I have no idea how I remember that. ;)
      >>
      >> -Dave
      >
      > The mind is split up into Static RAM, Dynamic RAM, ROM and some Vacuum Tubes. You obviously had that memory sent to STATIC RAM.
      >
      > Lately, my memory has proven that I've got more Vacuum than Tubes.

      Well put!

      I've been having the same problem. ;)

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 40 of 40 , Dec 15, 2012
        On Sat, 15 Dec 2012, joshbensadon wrote:

        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> The double-sided drives have a 2S signal on pin 10 of the interface
        >> connector to indicate single or double-sided media. The outputs of the
        >> respective pulse-shaping ciruitry for each sensor is essentially ORed to
        >> form a single Index pulse output.
        >

        > Cool, so I can imagine the two sensor signals going to an RS flip flop
        > to provide the 2S signal and as you said to an OR gate for the index.

        Here's the service manual for the Tandom TM-848, with the schematics in
        the back:

        http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/tandon/TM848_service_1982.pdf

        Knock yourself out. :-)

        > Hmm, thinking about why, I guess the design was to create a hardware
        > error if a user placed a DS disk into a SS drive. As Rich found, the
        > lack of index pulses caused a drive not ready. Correct me if I'm wrong,
        > but in later 5.25" drives, they did not change the index sensor
        > location. Then I suppose the errors created would be software
        > generated?

        The 5.25" drives only had a single index hole aperture.

        > I vaguely remember hearing a discussion about how computers switched
        > from hardware solutions to software solutions, then back to hardware.
        > I just don't know the dates, could this 8" to 5.25" be part of that
        > switch?

        I couldn't say. Certainly Woz did a lot in software for his Apple II
        disk controller design. Another odd thing about the 8" drivers vs the
        5-1/4" drives was that the 8" drives had a write-enable notch, while the
        5-1/4: drives had a write-protect notch. Very confusing.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...