Re: [midatlanticretro] Lobo floppy drives

  • Rich Cini
    Message 1 of 40 , Nov 26, 2012
      Dave -- that indeed is one of the things I have to fix (8ms versus 6ms) in addition to SSSD versus DSSD.

      Rich Cini
      Sent from my iPhone

      On Nov 26, 2012, at 1:48 AM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

      On 11/25/2012 06:05 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
      > Would you mind sending me a copy of your CBIOS off-list? I would like to
      > compare the 8272 register configuration and setup to mine.

      Reading through this thread, one thing that occurred to me is that you
      might want to check the step rate that you're running to ensure it isn't
      too fast for the drive. I had exactly this problem...oh...almost 30
      years ago. I have no idea how I remember that. ;)

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA

    • Mike Loewen
      Message 40 of 40 , Dec 15, 2012
        On Sat, 15 Dec 2012, joshbensadon wrote:

        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> The double-sided drives have a 2S signal on pin 10 of the interface
        >> connector to indicate single or double-sided media. The outputs of the
        >> respective pulse-shaping ciruitry for each sensor is essentially ORed to
        >> form a single Index pulse output.
        >

        > Cool, so I can imagine the two sensor signals going to an RS flip flop
        > to provide the 2S signal and as you said to an OR gate for the index.

        Here's the service manual for the Tandom TM-848, with the schematics in
        the back:

        http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/tandon/TM848_service_1982.pdf

        Knock yourself out. :-)

        > Hmm, thinking about why, I guess the design was to create a hardware
        > error if a user placed a DS disk into a SS drive. As Rich found, the
        > lack of index pulses caused a drive not ready. Correct me if I'm wrong,
        > but in later 5.25" drives, they did not change the index sensor
        > location. Then I suppose the errors created would be software
        > generated?

        The 5.25" drives only had a single index hole aperture.

        > I vaguely remember hearing a discussion about how computers switched
        > from hardware solutions to software solutions, then back to hardware.
        > I just don't know the dates, could this 8" to 5.25" be part of that
        > switch?

        I couldn't say. Certainly Woz did a lot in software for his Apple II
        disk controller design. Another odd thing about the 8" drivers vs the
        5-1/4" drives was that the 8" drives had a write-enable notch, while the
        5-1/4: drives had a write-protect notch. Very confusing.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...