Connecting modern machines to CBM drives

  • Richard Cini
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2012
      All --

      Over the holiday I found another stash of disks from the VIC-20 I used when I was a kid. It's been a while since I've archived disks, and I must no longer have the machine I used previously because I had the most devilish time trying to get a regular XM1541 cable working with modern machines (XP and Vista) and OpenCBM/cbm4win and the related GUI utility. It sort of works but not all the time. So, I'm kind of starting from scratch.

      I know that Jim Brain sells a "ZoomFloppy" USB to Serial IEC adapter which looks promising. Does anyone have experience with this adapter? How about other working configurations — any recommendations?

      Thanks!

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 2012
        That's the best thing if you have a working 1541. You won't need a VIC 20 to operate/convert disks to D64 images. I have both the uIEC and ZoomFloppy. Top notch stuff.
        bd

        > Over the holiday I found another stash of disks from the VIC-20 I used when
        > I was a kid. It's been a while since I've archived disks, and I must no
        > longer have the machine I used previously because I had the most devilish
        > time trying to get a regular XM1541 cable working with modern machines (XP
        > and Vista) and OpenCBM/cbm4win and the related GUI utility. It sort of works
        > but not all the time. So, I'm kind of starting from scratch.
        >
        > I know that Jim Brain sells a "ZoomFloppy" USB to Serial IEC adapter which
        > looks promising. Does anyone have experience with this adapter? How about
        > other working configurations ‹ any recommendations?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Rich
        >
        > --
        > Rich Cini
        > Collector of Classic Computers
        > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
        > http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
      • Richard Cini
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 24, 2012
          Thanks, Bill. I have other JB stuff and it works well. I'll give it a try.

          Rich

          From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
          Date: Saturday, November 24, 2012 10:56 AM
          To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: re: [midatlanticretro] Connecting modern machines to CBM drives

          That's the best thing if you have a working 1541. You won't need a VIC 20 to operate/convert disks to D64 images. I have both the uIEC and ZoomFloppy. Top notch stuff.
          bd

          > Over the holiday I found another stash of disks from the VIC-20 I used when
          > I was a kid. It's been a while since I've archived disks, and I must no
          > longer have the machine I used previously because I had the most devilish
          > time trying to get a regular XM1541 cable working with modern machines (XP
          > and Vista) and OpenCBM/cbm4win and the related GUI utility. It sort of works
          > but not all the time. So, I'm kind of starting from scratch.
          >
          > I know that Jim Brain sells a "ZoomFloppy" USB to Serial IEC adapter which
          > looks promising. Does anyone have experience with this adapter? How about
          > other working configurations ? any recommendations?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Rich
          >
          > --
          > Rich Cini