Re: [midatlanticretro] DEC microfiche

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 23, 2012
      David Gesswein <djg@...> writes:

      >DEC released most/all? their documentation that was still current on
      >fiche. I have some PDP-8 and module fiche and left at least the auction
      >amount of 11 fiche for the 11 collectors many years ago. I'm not sure
      >exactly when DEC started releasing stuff on fiche. My fiche have some
      >VT78 docs so they are at least 1978. I found that some KL10 fiche were
      >also in the portion I took.

      True. Before the advent of CD, fiche was king. Hardware maintenance and
      FRU documentation, diagnostics, and source listings were made available on
      on microfiche. I still have bundles of VMS source listings fiche; albeit,
      I have no way to view it. Everything that used to be available on fiche
      was quickly made available on CD when CDs came into being. It was simply
      easier and cheaper to produce CDs. VMS V5.0 listings was, for example, a
      single CD whereas, before CDs, it was a bundle of fiche about 4"-5" thick!

      "And though it seems they smile with glee, I know in truth they envy me
      and watch as my befuddled brain, shines on brightly quite insane"