Re: [midatlanticretro] DEC microfiche

  • Mike Hatch
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 23, 2012
      On 23/11/2012 09:15, Douglas wrote:
      > Could this be documentation not available anywhere else?

      I doubt if it is, there is lots of PDP-11 documentation about but I've
      never seen any mentioned on microfiche. Can this be saved for MARCH /
      InfoAge ??.

      Mike
      www.pdp-7.org

      > http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEC-PDP-11-and-other-DEC-units-BOX-OF-OVER-2-000-microfiche-VERY-RARE-W-READER-/130807216192?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item1e74b7b840

    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 23, 2012
        On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 09:59:55AM +0000, Mike Hatch wrote:
        > On 23/11/2012 09:15, Douglas wrote:
        > > Could this be documentation not available anywhere else?
        >
        > I doubt if it is, there is lots of PDP-11 documentation about but I've
        > never seen any mentioned on microfiche. Can this be saved for MARCH /
        > InfoAge ??.
        >
        > Mike
        > www.pdp-7.org

        DEC released most/all? their documentation that was still current on fiche.
        I have some PDP-8 and module fiche and left at least the auction amount of 11
        fiche for the 11 collectors many years ago. I'm not sure exactly when DEC
        started releasing stuff on fiche. My fiche have some VT78 docs so they are at
        least 1978. I found that some KL10 fiche were also in the portion I took.
      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 23, 2012
          David Gesswein <djg@...> writes:

          >DEC released most/all? their documentation that was still current on
          >fiche. I have some PDP-8 and module fiche and left at least the auction
          >amount of 11 fiche for the 11 collectors many years ago. I'm not sure
          >exactly when DEC started releasing stuff on fiche. My fiche have some
          >VT78 docs so they are at least 1978. I found that some KL10 fiche were
          >also in the portion I took.

          True. Before the advent of CD, fiche was king. Hardware maintenance and
          FRU documentation, diagnostics, and source listings were made available on
          on microfiche. I still have bundles of VMS source listings fiche; albeit,
          I have no way to view it. Everything that used to be available on fiche
          was quickly made available on CD when CDs came into being. It was simply
          easier and cheaper to produce CDs. VMS V5.0 listings was, for example, a
          single CD whereas, before CDs, it was a bundle of fiche about 4"-5" thick!

          "And though it seems they smile with glee, I know in truth they envy me
          and watch as my befuddled brain, shines on brightly quite insane"