Oldest working digital computer?

  • Douglas
    Message 2 of 21 , Nov 22, 2012
    • Douglas
      Message 3 of 21 , Nov 22, 2012
        I'll be interested in hearing if you guys think their claim of oldest is true.
        I did enjoy the video, love seeing old pixie tubes in action.
        It would be really cool to do a video tour around the machine
        what's in it, any interesting/unusual theory of op, etc.
        Ditto goes for other old machines.
        Maybe such presentations are available on DVD from somewhere?
        Message 4 of 21 , Nov 22, 2012
          >> I'll be interested in hearing if you guys think their claim of oldest is true.

          It's the oldest digital large-scale computer. But there are probably some people with Simon computers from the 1950s. Those are digital, just not large-scale.
        • Douglas
          Message 5 of 21 , Nov 23, 2012

            > >> I'll be interested in hearing if you guys think their claim of oldest is true.
            >
            > It's the oldest digital large-scale computer. But there are probably some people with Simon computers from the 1950s. Those are digital, just not large-scale.

            I guess the ENIAC is non-function?
            Darnit. Those Brits.
          • Douglas
            Message 6 of 21 , Nov 23, 2012
              There's an effort afoot to take back the TITLE!

              Restore the ENIAC in Philadelphia!

              https://sites.google.com/a/opgate.com/eniac/Home/business-plan

              Are ya WITH me? :)
            • Mike Hatch
              Message 7 of 21 , Nov 23, 2012
                On 23/11/2012 09:07, Douglas wrote:

                > There's an effort afoot to take back the TITLE!
                >
                > Restore the ENIAC in Philadelphia!

                I hope this starts a trend in restoring these oldest of machines, and
                perhaps a little
                ** FRIENDLY ** (please) rivalry.

                I thought we here in the UK currently have it with Colossus and the
                Witch ?, also the slightly more recent Elliott 803, all in running
                condition at Bletchly Park.

                > https://sites.google.com/a/opgate.com/eniac/Home/business-plan
                >
                > Are ya WITH me? :)
                If it helps get the old stuff running - yes - even if on the wrong
                side of the pond !, all power to you, best of luck.

                Mike.
                www.pdp-7.org

                Message 8 of 21 , Nov 23, 2012
                  >> I guess the ENIAC is non-function? ... >> There's an effort afoot to take back the TITLE! Restore the ENIAC in Philadelphia!

                  Context is key. :) ENIAC isn't in one piece, nor one place ... parts of it are scattered about the country, and huge fractions of it are simply gone. The plan you cited involves building a replica of most of it, whereas the Witch is mostly original. Also, the plan you cited mostly exists "on paper"; there isn't much actual effort underway.

                  Here's the good news: the Mauchly/Eckert families and MARCH have a good relationship. I first met Bill M. (son of ENIAC creator John M.; Bill is the family's historian, public liaison, and himself a computer engineer) around 2006/2007. I asked for his help with some research and that went well. Then he spoke at our VCF East show in 2008. After that I helped him with some of his own research and became close with a group of historians and Mauchly/Eckert family members who are all passionate about ENIAC.

                  As such, Bill is very aware of InfoAge, and there's an open invitation for him to build his replica there as part of our computer museum.

                  Unfortunately our museum doesn't own any ENIAC artifacts. All we have is a picture. However we do have some UNIVAC artifacts. We have a UNIVAC 1 technical manual, several pictures, a board of tubes from an unspecified ERA/Remington system; and the majority of a UNIVAC 1219 computer from 1965.
                • Dave Wade
                  Message 9 of 21 , Nov 23, 2012
                    On 23 November 2012 12:43, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                    >> I guess the ENIAC is non-function? ... >> There's an effort afoot to take back the TITLE! Restore the ENIAC in Philadelphia!

                    Context is key.  :)  ENIAC isn't in one piece, nor one place ... parts of it are scattered about the country, and huge fractions of it are simply gone. The plan you cited involves building a replica of most of it, whereas the Witch is mostly original. Also, the plan you cited mostly exists "on paper"; there isn't much actual effort underway.

                    I still believe that the first machine that was a true stored program computer, and so the first thing most of us would recognize as a computer, rather than a programmable calculator  was the Manchester Baby and all we are going of have of that is the current replica at www.mosi.org.uk.

[...]

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional
                    Message 10 of 21 , Nov 23, 2012
                      Simon...none were actually produced I thought.
                      --
                      Sent from my PDP 8/e.
                      Message 11 of 21 , Nov 23, 2012
                        Douglas <touchetek@...> wrote:

                        >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>

                        >oldest is true.
                        >>
                        >> It's the oldest digital large-scale computer. But there are probably
                        >some people with Simon computers from the 1950s. Those are digital,
                        >just not large-scale.
                        >>

                        >I guess the ENIAC is non-function?
                        >Darnit. Those Brits.

                        Functioning computers.

                        Sent from my PDP 8/e.
                        Message 12 of 21 , Nov 23, 2012
                          >> Simon...none were actually produced I thought.

                          Why do you think that?

                          (I don't mean the abstract Simon from the "Giant Brains" book, I mean the digital logic trainer, a la DigiComp, etc.
                          Message 13 of 21 , Nov 23, 2012
                            Wrong thread. But what trainers, from 40s to 1950, were produced.
                            --
                            Sent from my PDP 8/e.
                          • Jeff Jonas
                            Message 14 of 21 , Nov 24, 2012
                              > I did enjoy the video, love seeing old pixie tubes in action.

                              Close but no cigar.
                              Those are DECKATRON tubes: they count up AND display the number as a glowing pin in orange (neon) or purple (mixed gas). Meaning the ALU is decimal, not bi-quinary or binary.
                            • William Donzelli
                              Message 15 of 21 , Nov 24, 2012
                                > Close but no cigar.
                                > Those are DECKATRON tubes: they count up AND display the number as a
                                > glowing pin in orange (neon) or purple (mixed gas). Meaning the ALU is
                                > decimal, not bi-quinary or binary.

                                Close but no cigar.

                                There were Dekatron tubes that were not decimal based, some with extra
                                electrodes so you could do weird numeric bases and bi-quinary
                                (although in this case I am pretty sure they are pure decimal).

                                --
                                Will
                              • Douglas
                                Message 16 of 21 , Nov 24, 2012
                                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Jonas" <jeff_s_jonas@...> wrote:

                                  > > I did enjoy the video, love seeing old pixie tubes in action.
                                  >
                                  > Close but no cigar.
                                  > Those are DECKATRON tubes: they count up AND display the number as a glowing pin in orange (neon) or purple (mixed gas). Meaning the ALU is decimal, not bi-quinary or binary.

                                  Oh OK! Learning something every time on this board.
                                  I'll have to look them up.
                                  THANKS!
                                • Douglas
                                  Message 17 of 21 , Nov 24, 2012
                                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Hatch <mike@...> wrote:

                                    > If it helps get the old stuff running - yes - even if on the wrong
                                    > side of the pond !, all power to you, best of luck.

                                    That's very kind of you, and the sentiment is reciprocal.
                                    Any competition is definitely friendly!
                                  • Douglas
                                    Message 18 of 21 , Nov 24, 2012

                                      > >> I guess the ENIAC is non-function? ... >> There's an effort afoot to take back the TITLE! Restore the ENIAC in Philadelphia!
                                      >
                                      > Context is key. :) ENIAC isn't in one piece, nor one place ... parts of it are scattered about the country, and huge fractions of it are simply gone. The plan you cited involves building a replica of most of it, whereas the Witch is mostly original. Also, the plan you cited mostly exists "on paper"; there isn't much actual effort underway.
                                      >
                                      > Here's the good news: the Mauchly/Eckert families and MARCH have a good relationship. I first met Bill M. (son of ENIAC creator John M.; Bill is the family's historian, public liaison, and himself a computer engineer) around 2006/2007. I asked for his help with some research and that went well. Then he spoke at our VCF East show in 2008. After that I helped him with some of his own research and became close with a group of historians and Mauchly/Eckert family members who are all passionate about ENIAC.
                                      >
                                      > As such, Bill is very aware of InfoAge, and there's an open invitation for him to build his replica there as part of our computer museum.

                                      That's great news!  Very exciting possibilities.

                                      > Unfortunately our museum doesn't own any ENIAC artifacts. All we have is a picture. However we do have some UNIVAC artifacts. We have a UNIVAC 1 technical manual, several pictures, a board of tubes from an unspecified ERA/Remington system; and the majority of a UNIVAC 1219 computer from 1965.

                                      Awesome.
                                      Do you already have any good Burroughs contacts?  I just bought some old Macs off of a retired Burroughs executive.
                                      I could try to track down some early Burroughs through him if you want.

                                    • Jeff Jonas
                                      Message 19 of 21 , Nov 24, 2012
                                        > That's the 531 character URL. Here's the 26 character:
                                        > <http://tinyurl.com/bhqbnv6>

                                        It was also covered by BoingBoing:
                                        http://boingboing.net/2012/11/21/1951-digital-computer-restored.html

                                        citing Wikipedia:
                                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WITCH_%28computer%29
                                        the Harwell Dekatron Computer ... used dekatrons for volatile memory

                                        The machine was decimal and initially had twenty 8-digit dekatron registers for internal storage, which was increased to 40 which appeared to be enough for nearly all calculations

                                        This site explains some details such as schematics
                                        http://www.computerconservationsociety.org/witch.htm
                                        http://www.computerconservationsociety.org/witch1.htm

                                        http://www.chilton-computing.org.uk/acl/literature/reports/p009.htm

                                        as a step on the way Electronics Division offered to design and build for us an automatic calculator in which the switching was done by relays (as had been done in a classic series of machines built by Stibitz in Bell Labs.) but in which the decimal arithmetic and memory were electronic, using about 800 scale-of-ten Dekatron tubes.

                                        And there you have it from the horse's mouth: those are ALL scale-of-ten Dekatron tubes

                                        And those metal cylinders are probably stepping relays that also tend to be in banks of 10.
                                      • Jeff Jonas
                                        Message 20 of 21 , Nov 24, 2012
                                          And most useful to us: the bottom right column links to the programmer's manual and flowcharts!

                                          Message 21 of 21 , Nov 24, 2012
                                            > And there you have it from the horse's mouth: those are ALL scale-of-ten
                                            > Dekatron tubes

                                            Yes, those used in that specific machine are, but not all Dekatrons
                                            are decimal. The phone company used some of the oddball types due to
                                            some of the non-decimal nature of the switching system.

                                            --
                                            Will