Re: [midatlanticretro] GE SSL-22 LEDs

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 19, 2012
      On 11/18/2012 07:52 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
      > I'm trying to track down some of these GE Solid State Lamp series LEDs
      > that GE produced in the early 1970s. I have a couple of burned out and
      > flaky ones in my Intellec and would like to replace them with genuine
      > parts. The SSL-22 is the one listed in my schematic/part list.

      How do these look for a match? They seem to match the description
      you gave in your other email.

      http://www.neurotica.com/misc/leds-1.jpg

      I have other rare LEDs if these don't match. (I have a bit of an LED
      fetish)

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Kyle Owen
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 19, 2012
        On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

        On 11/18/2012 07:52 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
        > I'm trying to track down some of these GE Solid State Lamp series LEDs
        > that GE produced in the early 1970s. I have a couple of burned out and
        > flaky ones in my Intellec and would like to replace them with genuine
        > parts. The SSL-22 is the one listed in my schematic/part list.

        How do these look for a match? They seem to match the description
        you gave in your other email.

        http://www.neurotica.com/misc/leds-1.jpg

        I have other rare LEDs if these don't match. (I have a bit of an LED
        fetish)

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA

        Thanks for checking on that, Dave! I'm on vacation right now, and thus can't access the front panel to the Intellec. However, when I get back, I'll let you know for sure. I think the top one may be it, especially if it's shorter than the "standard" 5mm LEDs of today. It's important that they are shorter, as the top of the LEDs rest right up against the front panel. I do recall it having a lip at the base, so I'd think we can rule the other two out.

        I too have some vintage/uncommon LEDs (namely other GE parts in the TO-18 package, but also some 3-leaded ones in plastic), as well as 2000 infrared LEDs. I'm not sure what I'll do with those yet, but I'm thinking a large infrared illuminator for nighttime vision will be in the works one of these days. A local company that made remotes and other stuff for in-home audio systems was liquidating, and hence, I got a bunch of new stuff at very good prices.

        Kyle
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 20, 2012
          On 11/19/2012 11:39 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
          > How do these look for a match? They seem to match the description
          > you gave in your other email.
          >
          > http://www.neurotica.com/misc/leds-1.jpg
          >
          > I have other rare LEDs if these don't match. (I have a bit of an LED
          > fetish)
          >

          > Thanks for checking on that, Dave! I'm on vacation right now, and thus
          > can't access the front panel to the Intellec. However, when I get back,
          > I'll let you know for sure. I think the top one may be it, especially if
          > it's shorter than the "standard" 5mm LEDs of today. It's important that
          > they are shorter, as the top of the LEDs rest right up against the front
          > panel. I do recall it having a lip at the base, so I'd think we can rule
          > the other two out.

          Sounds good. I have a bunch of others that we can go through until
          we find the right one.

          > I too have some vintage/uncommon LEDs (namely other GE parts in the
          > TO-18 package, but also some 3-leaded ones in plastic),

          Neat! I love LEDs in general, but I especially like metal-encased
          LEDs. I have some nice old Russian ones, red and green, that look very
          much like TO-18 packages but aren't quite the same size. They look
          great. I'm looking for the "right" project for a bunch of those.

          > as well as 2000
          > infrared LEDs. I'm not sure what I'll do with those yet, but I'm
          > thinking a large infrared illuminator for nighttime vision will be in
          > the works one of these days. A local company that made remotes and other
          > stuff for in-home audio systems was liquidating, and hence, I got a
          > bunch of new stuff at very good prices.

          Fun!!

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Kyle Owen
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 24, 2012
            Alright, I have removed one GE SSL-22 from my Intellec's front panel. Here's an album with pictures of the LED in comparison to other (seemingly more common) LED varieties: http://imgur.com/a/PDLxs

            But in a nutshell, the LED measures 0.24" tall, compared to 0.34" for a "standard" 5mm LED commonly found today. It's red plastic with thin stamped metal leads. This particular LED is completely open. The series resistor on the front panel board measures 240 ohms as expected. All other LEDs have a voltage drop of 1.5V or so measured with my DMM with power off (using the diode setting on the multimeter) and 2.5V or so with power on.

            Kyle