Re: Removal Suggestions? - Black Antistatic Residue from the 70's

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 16, 2012

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mike@...> wrote:

      > "Goo Gone" did wonders removing some disintegrating foam insulation from an Apple Imagewriter printer i recently did some restoration work on. It still took some mechanical effort, so I'm not so sure how it would work in your case with IC pins.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Mike Willegal

      I'm working up an analysis of this black antistatic foam stuff. There's many reports of damaged chips from the degradation of this material. I want my site to get on top of this. I don't have a document ready to publish, but here's some bits of information:

      > This patent application for antistatic foam looks more reasonable.
      > http://www.google.com/patents/US5567740
      > Here's an excerpt:
      >
      > "This foam is produced by combining conventional polyurethane foam-forming
      > reactants and an effective amount of an antistatic agent such as
      > tetracyanoquinodimethane (TCNQ) or sodium perchlorate under foam-forming
      > conditions. In one preferred embodiment, the conductive foam is
      > subsequently reticulated by momentary exposure to a flame front."

      Another description is "polyolefin plastic resins"; "LDPE" (low density polyethylene); "EVA" (Ethylene-vinyl acetate). I've heard rumors that the conducting content is lamp black, burned sugar (acid not heat). There's likely many ways this stuff is/was produced.

      If the base material is a kind of plastic, then something like "Goo Gone" - in large part made of toluene - may dissolve it. Also: the traditional "gag" at an auto shop is to ask the new guy/gal to carry gasoline in a styrofoam cup. Of course, it dissolves the cup FAST.

      Handle these flammable and liver-damaging substances with caution. Please report results here, and with permission I'll quote content posted accordingly.

      Herb Johnson
    • Systems Glitch
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 16, 2012
        I've been told by someone who worked in the industry "back then" that the good stuff was synthetic foam with lamp black/carbon/graphite/et c., but that the lousy stuff was just sugar reduced to carbon with fuming sulphuric acid and sliced into sheets. The foam was, of course, washed after production, but presumably some of the acid remained. Fuming sulphuric acid would be 98% or higher concentration (it's hydroscopic, so hard to keep it above that).

        One can try the sulphuric acid reduction at home with table sugar and sulphuric acid drain opener. It proceeds slower than if one uses fuming acid. It does indeed make a carbon foam, which like the foam that dissolves component leads, squishes and does not return to its original shape/thickness. Essentially the sulphuric acid, which is a very good dessicant at high concentrations, strips the hydrogen and oxygen from sugar as water, leaving only the carbon. Steam is created as the reaction heats up, resulting in foaming.

        Forrest M. Mims, III also claims that the black foam is made with carbon in one of his "Engineer's Mini-Notebooks." There is a project that involves building load cells for sensing pressure with a bit of carbon antistatic foam sandwiched between two pennies in a piece of plastic tube. The further compressed, the less resistance.

        Thanks,
        Jonathan