Re: [midatlanticretro] Wanted: original IBM PC "green screen" monitor

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 16, 2012
      On 11/16/2012 01:24 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
      >> My pristine original IBM PC green-phosphor CRT, the one with the SUPER
      >> long-persistence phosphor, just took a dive down a flight of stairs. I
      >> am pretty upset about that.
      >>

      > jeesshh, I can't leave you alone for a minute, slacker ;)

      Man, it was bad. The monitor was in a plastic bin, and was going down
      on the hand truck with two other bins. I lost my footing two steps from
      the bottom and the pile cascaded down. The monitor housing shattered
      and the CRT neck got whacked.

      It's very upsetting, doubly so because I can only blame myself. That
      monitor, and the 5160 it went with, was absolutely *pristine*. I really
      need to find another one.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 16, 2012
        On Fri, 16 Nov 2012, Dave McGuire wrote:

        > My pristine original IBM PC green-phosphor CRT, the one with the SUPER
        > long-persistence phosphor, just took a dive down a flight of stairs. I
        > am pretty upset about that.

        At least it didn't hit you in the head (Hi, Sellam).

        I need a CRT for a DEC VT-320, because I stupidly tried to straighten
        one of the pins with a needlenose (ping, hiss).

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • J. Alexander Jacocks
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 16, 2012
          On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

          On Fri, 16 Nov 2012, Dave McGuire wrote:

          > My pristine original IBM PC green-phosphor CRT, the one with the SUPER
          > long-persistence phosphor, just took a dive down a flight of stairs. I
          > am pretty upset about that.

          At least it didn't hit you in the head (Hi, Sellam).
          <snip>

          I've done that:

          Alex: I wonder why this power cord is stretched so tightly? (while lying on the floor, re-arranging cables)
          <unplug>
          <BLAM>
          Alex: AIEE (from underneath a 19" CRT, which has fallen on him, from the top of an equipment rack)

          The amazing this is that, not only did I survive, but the monitor did, too, with only a somewhat bent case.

          - Alex
        • s100doctor
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 16, 2012

            > My pristine original IBM PC green-phosphor CRT, the one with the SUPER
            > long-persistence phosphor, just took a dive down a flight of stairs. I
            > am pretty upset about that.
            >
            > Does anyone have one of these that they might be willing to turn loose of?

            I have two green-screen IBM PC monitors, I can offer one, we can work a deal. How "long" is long-persistence? I've forgotten what's "normal persistance" for them. If there's a particular model number I can check that.

            Contact me privately, Dave. I will likely be at Infoage on Monday, if bringing one would help you that way; otherwise I can ship from my location.

            Herb