Re: [midatlanticretro] Wanted: original IBM PC "green screen" monitor

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 16, 2012
      On 11/16/2012 1:10 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
      > My pristine original IBM PC green-phosphor CRT, the one with the SUPER
      > long-persistence phosphor, just took a dive down a flight of stairs. I
      > am pretty upset about that.

      jeesshh, I can't leave you alone for a minute, slacker ;)
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 16, 2012
        On 11/16/2012 01:24 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
        >> My pristine original IBM PC green-phosphor CRT, the one with the SUPER
        >> long-persistence phosphor, just took a dive down a flight of stairs. I
        >> am pretty upset about that.
        >>

        > jeesshh, I can't leave you alone for a minute, slacker ;)

        Man, it was bad. The monitor was in a plastic bin, and was going down
        on the hand truck with two other bins. I lost my footing two steps from
        the bottom and the pile cascaded down. The monitor housing shattered
        and the CRT neck got whacked.

        It's very upsetting, doubly so because I can only blame myself. That
        monitor, and the 5160 it went with, was absolutely *pristine*. I really
        need to find another one.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 16, 2012
          On Fri, 16 Nov 2012, Dave McGuire wrote:

          > My pristine original IBM PC green-phosphor CRT, the one with the SUPER
          > long-persistence phosphor, just took a dive down a flight of stairs. I
          > am pretty upset about that.

          At least it didn't hit you in the head (Hi, Sellam).

          I need a CRT for a DEC VT-320, because I stupidly tried to straighten
          one of the pins with a needlenose (ping, hiss).

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • J. Alexander Jacocks
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 16, 2012
            On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

            On Fri, 16 Nov 2012, Dave McGuire wrote:

            > My pristine original IBM PC green-phosphor CRT, the one with the SUPER
            > long-persistence phosphor, just took a dive down a flight of stairs. I
            > am pretty upset about that.

            At least it didn't hit you in the head (Hi, Sellam).
            <snip>

            I've done that:

            Alex: I wonder why this power cord is stretched so tightly? (while lying on the floor, re-arranging cables)
            <unplug>
            <BLAM>
            Alex: AIEE (from underneath a 19" CRT, which has fallen on him, from the top of an equipment rack)

            The amazing this is that, not only did I survive, but the monitor did, too, with only a somewhat bent case.

            - Alex
          • s100doctor
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 16, 2012

              > My pristine original IBM PC green-phosphor CRT, the one with the SUPER
              > long-persistence phosphor, just took a dive down a flight of stairs. I
              > am pretty upset about that.
              >
              > Does anyone have one of these that they might be willing to turn loose of?

              I have two green-screen IBM PC monitors, I can offer one, we can work a deal. How "long" is long-persistence? I've forgotten what's "normal persistance" for them. If there's a particular model number I can check that.

              Contact me privately, Dave. I will likely be at Infoage on Monday, if bringing one would help you that way; otherwise I can ship from my location.

              Herb