Wanted: original IBM PC "green screen" monitor

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 16, 2012
      My pristine original IBM PC green-phosphor CRT, the one with the SUPER
      long-persistence phosphor, just took a dive down a flight of stairs. I
      am pretty upset about that.

      Does anyone have one of these that they might be willing to turn loose of?

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 16, 2012
        On 11/16/2012 1:10 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
        > My pristine original IBM PC green-phosphor CRT, the one with the SUPER
        > long-persistence phosphor, just took a dive down a flight of stairs. I
        > am pretty upset about that.

        jeesshh, I can't leave you alone for a minute, slacker ;)
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 16, 2012
          On 11/16/2012 01:24 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
          >> My pristine original IBM PC green-phosphor CRT, the one with the SUPER
          >> long-persistence phosphor, just took a dive down a flight of stairs. I
          >> am pretty upset about that.
          >>

          > jeesshh, I can't leave you alone for a minute, slacker ;)

          Man, it was bad. The monitor was in a plastic bin, and was going down
          on the hand truck with two other bins. I lost my footing two steps from
          the bottom and the pile cascaded down. The monitor housing shattered
          and the CRT neck got whacked.

          It's very upsetting, doubly so because I can only blame myself. That
          monitor, and the 5160 it went with, was absolutely *pristine*. I really
          need to find another one.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 16, 2012
            On Fri, 16 Nov 2012, Dave McGuire wrote:

            > My pristine original IBM PC green-phosphor CRT, the one with the SUPER
            > long-persistence phosphor, just took a dive down a flight of stairs. I
            > am pretty upset about that.

            At least it didn't hit you in the head (Hi, Sellam).

            I need a CRT for a DEC VT-320, because I stupidly tried to straighten
            one of the pins with a needlenose (ping, hiss).

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • J. Alexander Jacocks
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 16, 2012
              On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

              On Fri, 16 Nov 2012, Dave McGuire wrote:

              > My pristine original IBM PC green-phosphor CRT, the one with the SUPER
              > long-persistence phosphor, just took a dive down a flight of stairs. I
              > am pretty upset about that.

              At least it didn't hit you in the head (Hi, Sellam).
              <snip>

              I've done that:

              Alex: I wonder why this power cord is stretched so tightly? (while lying on the floor, re-arranging cables)
              <unplug>
              <BLAM>
              Alex: AIEE (from underneath a 19" CRT, which has fallen on him, from the top of an equipment rack)

              The amazing this is that, not only did I survive, but the monitor did, too, with only a somewhat bent case.

              - Alex
            • s100doctor
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 16, 2012

                > My pristine original IBM PC green-phosphor CRT, the one with the SUPER
                > long-persistence phosphor, just took a dive down a flight of stairs. I
                > am pretty upset about that.
                >
                > Does anyone have one of these that they might be willing to turn loose of?

                I have two green-screen IBM PC monitors, I can offer one, we can work a deal. How "long" is long-persistence? I've forgotten what's "normal persistance" for them. If there's a particular model number I can check that.

                Contact me privately, Dave. I will likely be at Infoage on Monday, if bringing one would help you that way; otherwise I can ship from my location.

                Herb