Re: Festivus update (Dec. 8-9; food details, bad movie contest!)

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012
      Well at first I was thinking "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" , but then I realized if I drag along a blu-ray player, this would be a great opportunity to put on an amazing HD transfer of "Forbidden Planet" and the original "The day the earth stood still". Not really B movies, but ones I think that people would enjoy seeing in a way they have never seen before in HD (Film resolution with the correct pull-down). If our projectors don't support HD, I could hop on a ladder and unhook my HD projector from my theater and bring it in, but I would only be able to be there one of the two days.

      Cheers,
      Corey

      > Festivus is just one month away.
      >
      > Our party is Dec. 8-9 at the museum, same room as the past couple of
      > years. We'll have a sign up on the front gate for any first-time attendees.
      >
      > It starts on the 8th (Saturday) around lunchtime and ends on the 9th
      > (Sunday) whenever people go home.
      >
      > MARCH will supply $100 of food basics -- burgers, hot dogs,
      > non-alcoholic beverages, chips, plates, etc. -- and we encourage
      > everyone to bring more such as other meals, snacks, beer (mmmm .... beer.)
      >
      > We'll collect $10/person ** for InfoAge ** .... last year we
      > inadvertently used that money for food. That was a mistake.
      >
      > I will ask Fred about the usual sparse sleepover arrangements.....
      >
      > As it turns out, Bill Deg., Justin, and myself are all only able to
      > attend our own party on the first day. Jeff B. accepted my request to
      > supervise clean-up, etc., at the end of the second day.
      >
      > New this year: worst movie contest!
      >
      > The rules:
      > 1. Whoever shows us the worst movie, as judged by cackling, groans, and
      > spilled beer, will win a prize. I determine the prize. It'll be a good one.
      > 2. Nothing too mainstream.
      > 3. Nothing that we've already watched as past Festivuses (Festivii?)
      > 4. No higher rating than PG-13, or equivalent if the movie is older than
      > ratings, as there may be some children present (use common sense.)
      > 5. You may call dibs on a movie by replying to this thread.
      > 6. If people show up with the same movie, but neither called dibs, then
      > we'll flip a coin to see who gets to take credit for it.
      >
      > I'll start: I call dibs on "Terror of Tiny Town" which is a 1938
      > western. Good guys vs. bad guys. But, it's a musical, and the actors are
      > little people -- same ones from The Wizard of Oz. (Thank you Larry S.
      > for the tip!)
      >
      > And of course, we encourage people to bring videogames, vintage
      > computers, and whatever else that's fun and legal.

    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012
        corey986 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> writes:

        >Well at first I was thinking "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" , but then
        >I r= ealized if I drag along a blu-ray player, this would be a great
        >opportunity= to put on an amazing HD transfer of "Forbidden Planet" and
        >the original "T= he day the earth stood still". Not really B movies,
        >but ones I think that = people would enjoy seeing in a way they have
        >never seen before in HD (Film = resolution with the correct pull-down).
        >If our projectors don't support HD= , I could hop on a ladder and unhook
        >my HD projector from my theater and br= ing it in, but I would only be
        >able to be there one of the two days.

        "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!" A classic. Since this is InfoAge and it's
        in NJ, don't forget a copy of "The Toxic Avenger -- The First Superhero from
        New Jersey." If it's bad movies you want, then these both must certainly be
        in the running.

        "And though it seems they smile with glee, I know in truth they envy me
        and watch as my befuddled brain, shines on brightly quite insane"
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012
          Shouldn't the movies have a computer connection? - or at least technology?

          The movie we watched last year, while more of a date flick, was obscure, computer-related, and shown on obsolete, vintage (betamax) equipment. That will be hard to beat! Blu-ray my ass!

          Jim

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012
            I agree. Id rather watch a movie with vintage computers that make up the plot/props.
            --
            Sent from my PDP 8/e.
          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 18, 2012
              > New this year: worst movie contest!

              I have something that I would like to show. It wasn't a movie, but a TV show
              that lasted 10 episodes. We don't have to watch all episodes, just a few.
              Can I use that instead ?

              Jeff Brace
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 18, 2012
                >>> New this year: worst movie contest!

                >> have something that I would like to show. It wasn't a movie, but a TV show that lasted 10 episodes. We don't have to watch all episodes, just a few.

                Okay.
              • Jeffrey Brace
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 18, 2012
                  >>> New this year: worst movie contest!

                  >> have something that I would like to show. It wasn't a movie, but a TV
                  >> show that lasted 10 episodes. We don't have to watch all episodes, just a
                  >> few.

                  > Okay.

                  Great ! I call dibs on "Fat Guy Stuck in Internet" It is 10 episodes lasting
                  about 12 minutes each. Totaling 2 hours.

                  *AND* it fits Bill Degnan's suggestion that it be technology related.

                  :-D