Festivus update (Dec. 8-9; food details, bad movie contest!)

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012
      Festivus is just one month away.

      Our party is Dec. 8-9 at the museum, same room as the past couple of
      years. We'll have a sign up on the front gate for any first-time attendees.

      It starts on the 8th (Saturday) around lunchtime and ends on the 9th
      (Sunday) whenever people go home.

      MARCH will supply $100 of food basics -- burgers, hot dogs,
      non-alcoholic beverages, chips, plates, etc. -- and we encourage
      everyone to bring more such as other meals, snacks, beer (mmmm .... beer.)

      We'll collect $10/person ** for InfoAge ** .... last year we
      inadvertently used that money for food. That was a mistake.

      I will ask Fred about the usual sparse sleepover arrangements.....

      As it turns out, Bill Deg., Justin, and myself are all only able to
      attend our own party on the first day. Jeff B. accepted my request to
      supervise clean-up, etc., at the end of the second day.

      New this year: worst movie contest!

      The rules:
      1. Whoever shows us the worst movie, as judged by cackling, groans, and
      spilled beer, will win a prize. I determine the prize. It'll be a good one.
      2. Nothing too mainstream.
      3. Nothing that we've already watched as past Festivuses (Festivii?)
      4. No higher rating than PG-13, or equivalent if the movie is older than
      ratings, as there may be some children present (use common sense.)
      5. You may call dibs on a movie by replying to this thread.
      6. If people show up with the same movie, but neither called dibs, then
      we'll flip a coin to see who gets to take credit for it.

      I'll start: I call dibs on "Terror of Tiny Town" which is a 1938
      western. Good guys vs. bad guys. But, it's a musical, and the actors are
      little people -- same ones from The Wizard of Oz. (Thank you Larry S.
      for the tip!)

      And of course, we encourage people to bring videogames, vintage
      computers, and whatever else that's fun and legal.
    • corey986
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012
        Well at first I was thinking "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" , but then I realized if I drag along a blu-ray player, this would be a great opportunity to put on an amazing HD transfer of "Forbidden Planet" and the original "The day the earth stood still". Not really B movies, but ones I think that people would enjoy seeing in a way they have never seen before in HD (Film resolution with the correct pull-down). If our projectors don't support HD, I could hop on a ladder and unhook my HD projector from my theater and bring it in, but I would only be able to be there one of the two days.

        Cheers,
        Corey

        > Festivus is just one month away.
        >
        > Our party is Dec. 8-9 at the museum, same room as the past couple of
        > years. We'll have a sign up on the front gate for any first-time attendees.
        >
        > It starts on the 8th (Saturday) around lunchtime and ends on the 9th
        > (Sunday) whenever people go home.
        >
        > MARCH will supply $100 of food basics -- burgers, hot dogs,
        > non-alcoholic beverages, chips, plates, etc. -- and we encourage
        > everyone to bring more such as other meals, snacks, beer (mmmm .... beer.)
        >
        > We'll collect $10/person ** for InfoAge ** .... last year we
        > inadvertently used that money for food. That was a mistake.
        >
        > I will ask Fred about the usual sparse sleepover arrangements.....
        >
        > As it turns out, Bill Deg., Justin, and myself are all only able to
        > attend our own party on the first day. Jeff B. accepted my request to
        > supervise clean-up, etc., at the end of the second day.
        >
        > New this year: worst movie contest!
        >
        > The rules:
        > 1. Whoever shows us the worst movie, as judged by cackling, groans, and
        > spilled beer, will win a prize. I determine the prize. It'll be a good one.
        > 2. Nothing too mainstream.
        > 3. Nothing that we've already watched as past Festivuses (Festivii?)
        > 4. No higher rating than PG-13, or equivalent if the movie is older than
        > ratings, as there may be some children present (use common sense.)
        > 5. You may call dibs on a movie by replying to this thread.
        > 6. If people show up with the same movie, but neither called dibs, then
        > we'll flip a coin to see who gets to take credit for it.
        >
        > I'll start: I call dibs on "Terror of Tiny Town" which is a 1938
        > western. Good guys vs. bad guys. But, it's a musical, and the actors are
        > little people -- same ones from The Wizard of Oz. (Thank you Larry S.
        > for the tip!)
        >
        > And of course, we encourage people to bring videogames, vintage
        > computers, and whatever else that's fun and legal.

      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012
          corey986 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> writes:

          >Well at first I was thinking "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" , but then
          >I r= ealized if I drag along a blu-ray player, this would be a great
          >opportunity= to put on an amazing HD transfer of "Forbidden Planet" and
          >the original "T= he day the earth stood still". Not really B movies,
          >but ones I think that = people would enjoy seeing in a way they have
          >never seen before in HD (Film = resolution with the correct pull-down).
          >If our projectors don't support HD= , I could hop on a ladder and unhook
          >my HD projector from my theater and br= ing it in, but I would only be
          >able to be there one of the two days.

          "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!" A classic. Since this is InfoAge and it's
          in NJ, don't forget a copy of "The Toxic Avenger -- The First Superhero from
          New Jersey." If it's bad movies you want, then these both must certainly be
          in the running.

          "And though it seems they smile with glee, I know in truth they envy me
          and watch as my befuddled brain, shines on brightly quite insane"
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012
            Shouldn't the movies have a computer connection? - or at least technology?

            The movie we watched last year, while more of a date flick, was obscure, computer-related, and shown on obsolete, vintage (betamax) equipment. That will be hard to beat! Blu-ray my ass!

            Jim

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012
              I agree. Id rather watch a movie with vintage computers that make up the plot/props.
              --
              Sent from my PDP 8/e.
            • Jeffrey Brace
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 18, 2012
                > New this year: worst movie contest!

                I have something that I would like to show. It wasn't a movie, but a TV show
                that lasted 10 episodes. We don't have to watch all episodes, just a few.
                Can I use that instead ?

                Jeff Brace
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 18, 2012
                  >>> New this year: worst movie contest!

                  >> have something that I would like to show. It wasn't a movie, but a TV show that lasted 10 episodes. We don't have to watch all episodes, just a few.

                  Okay.
                • Jeffrey Brace
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 18, 2012
                    >>> New this year: worst movie contest!

                    >> have something that I would like to show. It wasn't a movie, but a TV
                    >> show that lasted 10 episodes. We don't have to watch all episodes, just a
                    >> few.

                    > Okay.

                    Great ! I call dibs on "Fat Guy Stuck in Internet" It is 10 episodes lasting
                    about 12 minutes each. Totaling 2 hours.

                    *AND* it fits Bill Degnan's suggestion that it be technology related.

                    :-D