Re: Got an Altair 8800b...needs "a bit" of work

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 7, 2012
      I looked at the photos. It's normal for Altair board to have a lot of wires. That's how they were designed. It's typical that the upright plastic PC board guides are brittle - those are 35 year old plastics, that's what happens.

      The earliest Altair power supplies were not well designed to say the least - they are rare because people replaced them as soon as they could. Apparently yours, simply had the power supply removed? Hard to tell from the photos. There's probably some Web sites with photos of 8800b's with some variations. (Let me know if there are NOT, I'd be surprised.)

      I have various sets of Altair manuals including some 8800b manuals, many of them are original paper documents.

      http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/d_altair.html

      Manuals are listed by board and model, I can be a little helpful about identifying your cards. I don't offer free download PDF's, I offer GOOD photocopies, including 11X17 sized copies for documents of that size. I charge per page plus postage and handling for that service. I've done this for decades, and I don't apologize for doing it this way today.

      But, I'm busy with storm damage and the current winter storm, so I can't work on this until say next week. Contact me privately then, but of course check out the Web page, and links from that.

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com
    • corey986
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 8, 2012
        Well for the top cover you have some options....

        I put my "pristine" condition cover away to prevent any dents and issues, and use this one

        Plus I like how it looks...

        Cheers,
        Corey

        > And by "a bit," I mean a lot. It's bad, unfortunately. I think some felines
        > urinated on the front panel board, as it's certainly caked in something
        > nasty mixed with cat hair. Quite a few of the IC pins are corroding and
        > will be replaced.
        >
        > My plan for the boards are to remove all of the socketed chips and probably
        > switches too, and run it through the dishwasher a few times. I may go ahead
        > and unsolder everything and just rebuild; I wouldn't be opposed to doing
        > that. In fact, I'll likely do that on a couple of the other smaller boards
        > too.
        >
        > I am missing the majority of the power supply. The PSU board was just given
        > to me, but I don't have the transformer, fan, large capacitor, or any of
        > the wires. Would anyone with an 8800b be able to take some hi-res shots of
        > the PSU area, so I can get an idea of what the original system looked like?
        > Or maybe just a list? This was the best picture I could find of the
        > components: http://www.dvq.com/oldcomp/photos2/1k/altair_8800b_mb.jpg
        >
        > The plastic card guides are completely brittle and crack at the slightest
        > touch. Any ideas for some authentic replacements? I'm guessing I'm SOL on
        > this.
        >
        > I am also missing the top case as it stands. Am I going to have an
        > extremely hard time finding such pieces?
        >
        > Anyways, the pictures are here for those curious and with a strong stomach
        > (nah, it's not *that* bad!).
        >
        > http://imgur.com/a/lZY3T
        >
        > If you have any advice to add, I'd love to hear it! This is by far the
        > worst condition machine I have ever received, and luckily I didn't pay much
        > for it. I definitely hope to have it working eventually. I will have to get
        > some RAM for it at some point down the road, but I think I'm quite far from
        > that.
        >
        > Kyle

      • corey986
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 8, 2012
          Well for the top cover you have some options....

          I put my "pristine" condition cover away to prevent any dents and issues, and use this one

          Plus I like how it looks...

          Cheers,
          Corey

          > And by "a bit," I mean a lot. It's bad, unfortunately. I think some felines
          > urinated on the front panel board, as it's certainly caked in something
          > nasty mixed with cat hair. Quite a few of the IC pins are corroding and
          > will be replaced.
          >
          > My plan for the boards are to remove all of the socketed chips and probably
          > switches too, and run it through the dishwasher a few times. I may go ahead
          > and unsolder everything and just rebuild; I wouldn't be opposed to doing
          > that. In fact, I'll likely do that on a couple of the other smaller boards
          > too.
          >
          > I am missing the majority of the power supply. The PSU board was just given
          > to me, but I don't have the transformer, fan, large capacitor, or any of
          > the wires. Would anyone with an 8800b be able to take some hi-res shots of
          > the PSU area, so I can get an idea of what the original system looked like?
          > Or maybe just a list? This was the best picture I could find of the
          > components: http://www.dvq.com/oldcomp/photos2/1k/altair_8800b_mb.jpg
          >
          > The plastic card guides are completely brittle and crack at the slightest
          > touch. Any ideas for some authentic replacements? I'm guessing I'm SOL on
          > this.
          >
          > I am also missing the top case as it stands. Am I going to have an
          > extremely hard time finding such pieces?
          >
          > Anyways, the pictures are here for those curious and with a strong stomach
          > (nah, it's not *that* bad!).
          >
          > http://imgur.com/a/lZY3T
          >
          > If you have any advice to add, I'd love to hear it! This is by far the
          > worst condition machine I have ever received, and luckily I didn't pay much
          > for it. I definitely hope to have it working eventually. I will have to get
          > some RAM for it at some point down the road, but I think I'm quite far from
          > that.
          >
          > Kyle

        • corey986
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 8, 2012
            I just took a look at your pics again...

            Is the MITS SIO 88-2 Rev 0 board real? It has a green conforming coat and white silkscreen. I thought the SIO 88-2 had no green coat and black silkscreen, or did MITS switch at some point but didn't change the Rev number. Could it be a Grant Stocky one built with older NOS parts? I know his version has a green coat and white silkscreen to differentiate it from original and to make assembly easier.

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 8, 2012
              >> put my "pristine" condition cover away to prevent any dents and issues, and use this one

              Nice! But what's with the kaleidoscope front panel?
            • s100doctor
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 9, 2012

                > I just took a look at your pics again...
                >
                > Is the MITS SIO 88-2 Rev 0 board real? It has a green conforming coat and white silkscreen. I thought the SIO 88-2 had no green coat and black silkscreen, or did MITS switch at some point but didn't change the Rev number. Could it be a Grant Stocky one built with older NOS parts? I know his version has a green coat and white silkscreen to differentiate it from original and to make assembly easier.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Corey

                I'm not aware that Grant chose green and white to "differentiate" his boards from original. My original MITS boards come in many colors of print and board - including white text on green like the board in discussion. Grant could have marked his boards to clearly identify them - he chose not to.

                http://stockly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432&highlight=sio

                has a forum discussion where Grant posts links to some photos of his boards. One such photo link is:

                http://www.stockly.com/images3/070503-Other_Boards_2314.jpg

                ..which has an image of his SIO replica. A Web search may find other images, in context where they are identified by origin.

                Herb Johnson