A way we can help InfoAge -- please read

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2012
      Here's a whole other film prop project that would greatly benefit InfoAge and would also score big brownie points for MARCH.

      I was contacted about a production company that's working on a MAJOR hollywood film.

      They need 100 monitors:
      - they must be 1990s
      - they must be Super VGA
      - they must work
      - they must be 15-17 inches
      - they must have typical off-white case

      InfoAge stands to make $50/monitor.
      I forwarded this request to all the InfoAge group leaders. I promised that if MARCH has any to spare from our own collection, then we'll donate them to the cause, and I urged the other groups to do the same.

      But, we need to gather the monitors in one location within a week or two. Obviously we are not inclined to deal with shipping.

      If anybody has monitors that meet ALL of the above rules, and if you can get them to InfoAge in a week or two, and if you're willing to donate them -- then that would be awesome.

      InfoAge need not produce all 100 monitors. We just need a decent fraction of them to make it worthwhile for the film company.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2012
        Bernie S's surplus place will have vga displays. Would give money to a charity
        --
        Sent from my PDP 8/e.
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2012
          Clarifying my earlier statement about BernieS's affiliation with a surplus
          PC shop .. they have a ton of CRT VGA displays, probably have to pay to
          have them recycled, they would benefit from finding a way to get rid of
          them perhaps, or maybe InfoAge would split the charity donation. Not sure
          if BernieS checks this board.

          Bill

          > Here's a whole other film prop project that would greatly benefit InfoAge
          and would also score big brownie points for MARCH.

          > I was contacted about a production company that's working on a MAJOR
          hollywood film.

          > They need 100 monitors:
          > - they must be 1990s
          > - they must be Super VGA
          > - they must work
          > - they must be 15-17 inches
          > - they must have typical off-white case
          >
          > InfoAge stands to make $50/monitor.
          > I forwarded this request to all the InfoAge group leaders. I promised
          that if MARCH has any to spare from our own collection, then we'll donate
          them to the cause, and I urged the other groups to do the same.

          > But, we need to gather the monitors in one location within a week or two.
          Obviously we are not inclined to deal with shipping.

          > If anybody has monitors that meet ALL of the above rules, and if you can
          get them to InfoAge in a week or two, and if you're willing to donate them
          -- then that would be awesome.

          > InfoAge need not produce all 100 monitors. We just need a decent fraction
          of them to make it worthwhile for the film company.

        • Neil Cherry
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 7, 2012
            On 11/06/2012 11:03 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

            > They need 100 monitors:
            > - they must be 1990s
            > - they must be Super VGA
            > - they must work
            > - they must have typical off-white case
            > - they must be 15-17 inches

            Dang! I'm good up to here. Can we stretch the size to include a 19" ;-)

            Let me check to see what I still have.

            http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
            http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
          • Douglas
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 7, 2012

              > Here's a whole other film prop project that would greatly benefit InfoAge and would also score big brownie points for MARCH.
              >
              > I was contacted about a production company that's working on a MAJOR hollywood film.
              >
              > They need 100 monitors:
              > - they must be 1990s
              > - they must be Super VGA
              > - they must work
              > - they must be 15-17 inches
              > - they must have typical off-white case
              >
              > InfoAge stands to make $50/monitor.
              > I forwarded this request to all the InfoAge group leaders. I promised that if MARCH has any to spare from our own collection, then we'll donate them to the cause, and I urged the other groups to do the same.
              >
              > But, we need to gather the monitors in one location within a week or two. Obviously we are not inclined to deal with shipping.
              >
              > If anybody has monitors that meet ALL of the above rules, and if you can get them to InfoAge in a week or two, and if you're willing to donate them -- then that would be awesome.
              >
              > InfoAge need not produce all 100 monitors. We just need a decent fraction of them to make it worthwhile for the film company.

              I have a handful that could be liberated.
              I should be in the vicinity of the park within 2 weeks.
              It would be a chance to stop in and see the museum too :)

              Dell D1728D-LS
              http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/dta/04036/00000001.htm

              Sony CDP E100
              http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/CPDE200_mksp.pdf

              KDS 555
              http://monitors.alege.net/KDS-Visual-Sensations-555-White-15-inCRT-Conventional-Monitor.html

              Several just outside the requirements, but if they change their minds...

              (Too Small)
              Digiview HR-45
              http://www.ramplus.com/dig14vgacrtm.html

              (Too new?)
              2 Viewsonic e70f's, but I think they are too new. Flat CRT:
              http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/uk/products/archive/e70f.htm