Re: [midatlanticretro] Edmund Scientific

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
      On 11/06/2012 03:50 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Scientific_Corporation
      >
      > I found an add in a 1973 Popular Electronics Feb 1973 page 130 "New
      > Electronic Digital Computer Kit"
      >
      > They were based in Barrigton, NJ.

      I didn't know that their store had closed. This is very sad to hear.
      I was there many times as a kid. Their "surplus room" was a blast!

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
        > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Edmund Scientific
        >
        > On 11/06/2012 03:50 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
        > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Scientific_Corporation
        > >
        > > I found an add in a 1973 Popular Electronics Feb 1973 page 130 "New
        > > Electronic Digital Computer Kit"
        > >
        > > They were based in Barrigton, NJ.
        >
        > I didn't know that their store had closed. This is very sad to hear.
        > I was there many times as a kid. Their "surplus room" was a blast!
        >
        > -Dave

        I'd love to see one of those kits.
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
          On 11/06/2012 04:47 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
          >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Scientific_Corporation
          >>>
          >>> I found an add in a 1973 Popular Electronics Feb 1973 page 130 "New
          >>> Electronic Digital Computer Kit"
          >>>
          >>> They were based in Barrigton, NJ.
          >>
          >> I didn't know that their store had closed. This is very sad to hear.
          >> I was there many times as a kid. Their "surplus room" was a blast!
          >
          > I'd love to see one of those kits.

          I never saw any at the store; I'm sure they were long gone by then. I
          started going there in my early teens, early-mid 1980s.

          Someone's got to have one of those stashed away somewhere.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
            Google says Norman Edmund died in January this year.
          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012

              Nice ad, wish the picture was bigger. From the description they said it runs from 2 D sized batteries and was modeled from "giant electronic brains". Could it be a version of the "Simon" computer?