Edmund Scientific

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Scientific_Corporation

      I found an add in a 1973 Popular Electronics Feb 1973 page 130 "New
      Electronic Digital Computer Kit"

      They were based in Barrigton, NJ.

      bd
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
        On 11/06/2012 03:50 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Scientific_Corporation
        >
        > I found an add in a 1973 Popular Electronics Feb 1973 page 130 "New
        > Electronic Digital Computer Kit"
        >
        > They were based in Barrigton, NJ.

        I didn't know that their store had closed. This is very sad to hear.
        I was there many times as a kid. Their "surplus room" was a blast!

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
          > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Edmund Scientific
          >
          > On 11/06/2012 03:50 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
          > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Scientific_Corporation
          > >
          > > I found an add in a 1973 Popular Electronics Feb 1973 page 130 "New
          > > Electronic Digital Computer Kit"
          > >
          > > They were based in Barrigton, NJ.
          >
          > I didn't know that their store had closed. This is very sad to hear.
          > I was there many times as a kid. Their "surplus room" was a blast!
          >
          > -Dave

          I'd love to see one of those kits.
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
            On 11/06/2012 04:47 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
            >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Scientific_Corporation
            >>>
            >>> I found an add in a 1973 Popular Electronics Feb 1973 page 130 "New
            >>> Electronic Digital Computer Kit"
            >>>
            >>> They were based in Barrigton, NJ.
            >>
            >> I didn't know that their store had closed. This is very sad to hear.
            >> I was there many times as a kid. Their "surplus room" was a blast!
            >
            > I'd love to see one of those kits.

            I never saw any at the store; I'm sure they were long gone by then. I
            started going there in my early teens, early-mid 1980s.

            Someone's got to have one of those stashed away somewhere.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
              Google says Norman Edmund died in January this year.
            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012

                Nice ad, wish the picture was bigger. From the description they said it runs from 2 D sized batteries and was modeled from "giant electronic brains". Could it be a version of the "Simon" computer?