electronic term "s/c"

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2012
      What does "s/c" mean in the following line of text from the CBM PET
      manual?

      "If transistors Q1 and/or Q3 go open or s/c, we'll have solid retrace lines
      and no info on the screen..."

      Thanks in advance

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2012
        >> What does "s/c" mean in the following line of text from the CBM PET manual? "If transistors Q1 and/or Q3 go open or s/c, we'll have solid retrace lines and no info on the screen..."

        Short circuit?
      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2012

          > >> What does "s/c" mean in the following line of text from the CBM PET manual? "If transistors Q1 and/or Q3 go open or s/c, we'll have solid retrace lines and no info on the screen..."
          >
          > Short circuit?

          Yes, Short Circuit or Short Closed.

          But according to my dictionary, sc has many other definitions.

          SC
          1. Abbreviation of suppressed carrier.
          2. Abbreviation of short circuit
          3. On drawings, abbreviation for silk-covered

          Sc
          1. Symbole for scandium.
          2. Abbreviation of stratocumulus.

          sc
          1. Abbreviation of sine-cosine
          2. Abbreviation of single crystal
          3. Abbreviation of science
          4. Abbreviation of scale

          I had no idea sc could mean so much!

          Source: Dictionary of Electronics, Coles, 1981
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2012
            manual? "If transistors Q1 and/or Q3 go open or s/c, we'll have solid
            retrace lines and no info on the screen..."

            > > Short circuit?
            > >

            > Yes, Short Circuit or Short Closed.

            I am going to go with s/c = "short circuit", thanks Evan. Short closed
            would make less sense given "open" is in the same sentence.