Re: DC 100A Tape Belts

  • philippe_elie
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
      Hi guys,

      I just came across this group, and see that I am not alone having trouble for old DC100A cartridges.... I just bought a HP85 which is working OK except that it kills each and every cartridge I'm putting into the drive... I fixed the gummy wheel which now appears to be working fine but I guess that the rubber belts within the cartridges are now so sold they cannot stand the tension created by the drive..

      I'd be glad if someone can sell me cartridges - I unfortunately lost an eBay auction advertising 9 new cartridges :( - or point me towards someone whose is wiling to sell out some of his stock...
      I emailed Mike at soemtron yesterday as it was mentioned in this group that they have 2 new to sell but I think they are gone already (while they still show on their website).

      thanks in advance for your feedback
      kind regards,

      Philippe
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Hatch <mike@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Josh.
      >
      > I'll find out shipping to Canada and let you know, got an email ? unless
      > you want it via the group ?.
      >
      > Mike.
      > mike@...
      >
      > On 02/10/2012 13:59, joshbensadon wrote:
      > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>, Mike Hatch <mike@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > I've had rubber bands work well on 3in floppy drive but the belts in a
      > > > DC100A are very thin, cutting something down would difficult.
      > > >
      > > > Should anybody want them I have 11 DC100A (2 new sealed, 9 used once,
      > > > all boxed) from a PWS Colt memory tester see -
      > > > http://www.soemtron.org/stockdisposalmisc.html - they are located in
      > > the UK.
      > > >
      > > > Mike.
      > >
      > > Hi Mike,
      > >
      > > I bought 2 new ones and tried moving the belt from them to an old tape.
      > > Being very careful, these belts still snapped. I thought they were
      > > different lengths, but i measured the pulley's and they are the same
      > > size and spacing. One belt snapped after 1 minute of tape use, the other
      > > snapped as I lifted out a pulley and the reel.
      > >
      > > I'd like to buy 2 more (used are fine) from you, how much would it cost
      > > to mail them to Canada?
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Josh

    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "philippe_elie" <philippe-elie@...> wrote:

        > I'd be glad if someone can sell me cartridges - I unfortunately lost an eBay auction advertising 9 new cartridges :( - or point me towards someone whose is wiling to sell out some of his stock...
        > I emailed Mike at soemtron yesterday as it was mentioned in this group that they have 2 new to sell but I think they are gone already (while they still show on their website).

        I don't think even new tapes will help. I bought 2 new tapes, in their original plastic. I opened them up like a kid on Christmas, then tried to remove the belt and transfer it to an old tape. The first one broke as I opened the case, I guess one of the wheels got caught on the top lid? I opened the 2nd tape more carefully, but when I tried to lift the belt off one of the rollers, that belt just ripped.

        There is no solution, but to buy new belts. I am in the process of finding and ordering some new belts, perhaps you would like to split the bill with me and go 50/50?

        Cheers,
        Josh
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
          cricklewood electronics have a range of belts

          http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/Cricklewood/home.php?cat=269

          Dave Wade G4UGM
          Illegitimi Non Carborundum

        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave.g4ugm@...> wrote:

            > cricklewood electronics have a range of belts
            >
            > http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/Cricklewood/home.php?cat=269
            >

            > Dave Wade G4UGM
            > Illegitimi Non Carborundum

            Thanks Dave, Good to know! I checked their inventory and they don't have the right size, but always good to know where to go!