Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: Sandy

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 4, 2012
      From: Ray Sills
      Sent: Saturday, November 03, 2012 10:03 PM

      >I'm out of town.... but if it's any consolation, on my trip down I-95 to
      >Maryland, I saw -hundreds- , yes, hundreds of trucks with cherry pickers
      >and other utility trucks driving north. Presumably, crews and gear from
      >other >states heading up the interstate to help with restoration.

      Yes, on Saturday I saw many, many trucks from Atlanta Power heading from the
      Parkway to Long Branch and Ohio Power to other parts of the county. It's
      good to know that the rest of the country can help out the other parts in a
      time of critical need.

      Jeff Brace
    • Jason Howe
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 13, 2012
        Just got my power back yesterday afternoon, that's pretty much a full 14
        days without. We lost 2 big trees. One across the driveway, taking out
        my nice new fence. The other ripped the power lines off my house on
        it's way to taking the power lines off the pole in the street -- which
        then became suspended over the street by the remaining lines on the pole
        (telephone, cable, etc).

        The whole thing was complicated by the fact that we were in Arizona
        visiting my brother, scheduled to come home that Monday morning, which
        of course didn't happen as EWR was closed. We ended up getting a
        Wednesday night flight into Pittsburgh, rented a car a drove home on
        Thursday.

        Thankfully, my Hotwater heater is NatGas on pilot light, no power
        needed, and I wired my boiler to run off an extension cord (when we were
        without power for 7 days after last years Halloween storm), so we were
        able to survive. Just catching up on 2 weeks worth of emails now.

        --Jason