Re: OT: Sandy

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 4, 2012
      Yep, minimal Internet. But it's getting better as parts of my town are powered up. I still have no power or phones or cell voice reception, but I have plenty of firewood to keep warm and a little sleep deprived from keeping the fire going. Before today it only worked at 5am ish...

      I guess in my bad "texting", there was a misunderstanding, my wife's SUV took some shingles to the hood and windshield, so they need replacing. A tree missed it by about a foot. My house roof is history, and will need to be replaced. hopefully this week's storm won't be too bad. I think I lost mostly tabs and I didn't see any exposed tar paper, but can't get on the roof now.

      We did loose some marine fish because of the temperature drop before we had a chance to hook the tank up to the generator. Luckily the house is so cold compared to normal so that the chiller isn't needed as that would take a lot from the generator.

      All the vintage machines are unplugged so there won't be any problems, and to tease me, my processor technology eprom card arrived and I can't test it!!!!!

      I have been reading a lot. Finally got through all the MITS documentation cover to cover and finished reading the latest Rick Riodan novel.

      Work's been really good about things, especially when you have to waste half your day getting gas for the generator and firewood. I guess this has become my vacation for the year.

      I do feel like I live on a farm, getting up before the crack of dawn to start a fire and staying up to past midnight to keep it going.

      Cheers,
      Corey

      > >> I have heard from many that live close or on the shore that many have lost homes & cars.
      >
      > Corey has very minimal 'net access; said a tree took out his wife's SUV.
      >
      > My boss had her car in NYC swallowed by the East River.

    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 4, 2012
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 13, 2012
          Just got my power back yesterday afternoon, that's pretty much a full 14
          days without. We lost 2 big trees. One across the driveway, taking out
          my nice new fence. The other ripped the power lines off my house on
          it's way to taking the power lines off the pole in the street -- which
          then became suspended over the street by the remaining lines on the pole
          (telephone, cable, etc).

          The whole thing was complicated by the fact that we were in Arizona
          visiting my brother, scheduled to come home that Monday morning, which
          of course didn't happen as EWR was closed. We ended up getting a
          Wednesday night flight into Pittsburgh, rented a car a drove home on
          Thursday.

          Thankfully, my Hotwater heater is NatGas on pilot light, no power
          needed, and I wired my boiler to run off an extension cord (when we were
          without power for 7 days after last years Halloween storm), so we were
          able to survive. Just catching up on 2 weeks worth of emails now.

          --Jason