Re: [midatlanticretro] APL @ 50 Event in Toronto

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012
      On 11/01/2012 08:17 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
      > Today I learned much about APL at the York University APL@50 Event.

      [much awesomeness snipped]

      > I don't know who Edsger Dijkstra is, or why he wrote "APL is a
      > mistake, carried through to perfection. It is the language of the
      > future for the programming techniques of the past: it creates a new
      > generation of coding bums." In fact, he was quoted a few times with
      > negative comments. Does anyone have anything nice to say about him?
      > Who was he?

      !

      Dijkstra was perhaps one of the most influential figures in computer
      science of all time. He was a Turing Award recipient, and invented the
      now-ubiquitous concept of the "semaphore" in computer programming,
      amongst lots and lots and lots of other stuff.

      Important guy. He died about ten years ago.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Systems Glitch
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2012
        He's also responsible for Dijkstra's shortest path algorithm, which plays an important part in modern network routing. The algorithm was published in the 50's and is still implemented in /senior level/ computer science courses nowadays.

        Thanks,
        Jonathan

        On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 20:25:25 -0400
        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

        > On 11/01/2012 08:17 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
        > > Today I learned much about APL at the York University APL@50 Event.
        >
        > [much awesomeness snipped]
        >
        > > I don't know who Edsger Dijkstra is, or why he wrote "APL is a
        > > mistake, carried through to perfection. It is the language of the
        > > future for the programming techniques of the past: it creates a new
        > > generation of coding bums." In fact, he was quoted a few times with
        > > negative comments. Does anyone have anything nice to say about him?
        > > Who was he?
        >
        > !
        >
        > Dijkstra was perhaps one of the most influential figures in computer
        > science of all time. He was a Turing Award recipient, and invented the
        > now-ubiquitous concept of the "semaphore" in computer programming,
        > amongst lots and lots and lots of other stuff.
        >
        > Important guy. He died about ten years ago.
        >
        > -Dave
        >
        > --
        > Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        > New Kensington, PA

      • dfnr2
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2012
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:

          > He's also responsible for Dijkstra's shortest path algorithm, which plays an important part in modern network routing. The algorithm was published in the 50's and is still implemented in /senior level/ computer science courses nowadays.

          Also, perhaps the earliest denoucer of the GOTO statement (in high level languages); proponent of structured programming, likely contributing to the dominance of the Algol-derived progamming languages which predominate today's compiled program landscape; an early explorer of concurrent programming; and one of the most prolific computer enthusiasts and authors to date.

          Dave